I love cookies, and well… so does my whole family. The kiddos and I LOVE gathering in the kitchen and making them together. It’s become tradition. Without fail, if the kids see me pull out a stick of butter and the Kitchen-Aid, they come running in saying they want to help. Next thing I know, chairs from the dinner table are being pulled over to the kitchen island. It’s something I cherish now.
More than anything we love finding new and delicious cookie recipes that we can enjoy (found HERE). This next recipe for Almond Crunch Cookies is one of those – a keeper and definitely delicious!! If you’re a fan of Almond extract like my family is, then you’ll definitely love these cookies as well.
- 1 c shortening
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 3/4 c firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c regular or quick cooking oats
- 1 1/2 c Rice Chex cereal
- 4 oz white almond bark
- In a stand mixer, beat shortening and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until blended. Add to shortening mixture until just blended.
- Gently crush cereal without making the pieces too small. Mix in your oats and using a spatula, carefully add this to your stand mixer.
- Drop dough 2" apart on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 12-14 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and drizzle melted almond bark over the tops.
Recipe adapted from Call me PMC.
With bits of oats and crushed Chex cereal, these cookies are one-of-a-kind and must be tried!!
As mentioned above, almond extract is my favorite and pretty much makes anything taste delicious.
For more great cookie recipes be sure to check out these family favorites:
Pictures for this recipe were taken by my sister, Tara Martindale.