I love going out for Mexican food. The problem is I rarely get to finish my meal. But it’s my own fault. It’s all the darn chips and salsa! I can’t be the only who gorges on hot, salty chips from the moment I am seated. They are so good. The homemade ones are the best! They are absolutely irresistible. Add a margarita to my basket of chips and well forget the Spanish rice and refried bean, there is just no room!
The best way to combat over indulging on chips and salsa is to make Mexican food at home. Sure I still serve chips and salsa but after putting the effort into cooking, I get so anxious to dive into the meal!
Recently I made these bbq chicken burritos. This chicken had lots of smoky spice and grilled to perfection. I topped the chicken with onions, poblano peppers and cheese and had myself one memorable Mexican meal! But the best part was the fresh peach and tomatoes salsa! The sweet peaches balanced out the sultry chicken perfectly.
The salsa was too good, I a hard time keeping out of it! I just about ruined my appetite until I smelled that perfectly seasoned chicken. That’s when I put on my stretchy pants and decided, what the heck, you only live once.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Ancho Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion sliced into rings
- 1 large poblano pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 flour tortillas
- 3 cups seeded fresh tomatoes chopped
- 2 peeled peaches, diced
- 1 small jalapeno diced
- 1 whole avocado, diced
- ½ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- To prepare the salsa: Combine tomatoes, peaches, and jalapenos in a bowl. Stir in cilantro and salt. Drizzle with vinegar, toss to coat.
- Preheat grill.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar through cumin. Rub spice mixture over chicken. Grill chicken breasts for 6-7 minutes per side or until juices run clear and chicken is cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and pepper slices and cook for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Remove.
- To assemble, slice chicken and place over a tortilla. Top with peppers and onions, cheese and salsa.
These look so yummy! We love burritos, and I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thank you, Tanya!
For more recipes from Tanya here on Lil Luna, check out:
For all Dinner ideas go HERE.
For all recipes on the site go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!