I can’t remember the first time I had this recipe, but it was years ago and my one sister, Tara, made this for one of our Sunday dinners. It quickly became my FAVORITE Cheesy Macaroni and Cheese recipe. I don’t know if it’s the white sauce or the chunks of ham, but the recipe is PHENOMENAL and we’ve been making it ever since we first tried it years back. The recipe comes Giada De Laurentiis of Food Network and if you’ve ever seen her show or tried any of her recipes, then you’d know just how good they are.
Over the past several years, this recipe has also become a staple at our Luna Thanksgiving meal. Yes, we have Mac and Cheese, and it’s always one of the first recipes gone. Not sure if you guys have it as well, but in case you do you should definitely give it a try. I promise you’ll never want to try another Macaroni and Cheese recipe again. 😉
Like I said… maybe it’s the heavy cream or the 3 kinds of cheeses in it, but this Cheesy Mac and Cheese is absolutely sinful and will be loved by all. We usually have it as a side dish, but it’s great as a main dish too. I promise, your kids won’t be disappointed and neither will you!
Here is your Cheesy Mac and Cheese recipe:
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 TB all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt, plus more
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups packed grated fontina
- ¾ cup packed finely grated parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup packed grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces cooked ham, diced
- 2 TB finely chopped fresh parsley
- Butter a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Add salt to water for boiling. Do not rinse noodles.
- In a lager bowl, whisk the cream, milk, flour, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper to.
- Stir in 1 cup Fontina, ½ cup Parmesan, ½ cup mozzarella, ham and parsley. Add the noodles and toss to coat.
- Transfer to your prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1 cup Fontina, ¼ cup Parmesan, and ¼ cup mozzarella. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the noodle mixture.
- Bake at 450 for approx 20 minutes. Until sauce is bubbly and the cheese melts, slightly browning on top, about 20 minutes.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Giada De Laurentiis.
Yes, there’s a reason Giada has her own cooking show! The chick has got skills and knows what she is doing!!
This should just be a further testament as to how good this dish is. 🙂
I know we’ll definitely be making it for Thanksgiving (which is just a month away if you can believe it!) Sad I won’t get all the other recipes found at our family dinner back in Arizona, but I’m hoping I can still make a few of our favorites to make it feel like “home”.
One word – YUM!!
For other favorite side dishes, check out:
For all side dish recipes go HERE.
For all recipes go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!