I know you just heard from me yesterday, but its hard not to post when there are so many good recipes to share. I’m taking a break from soup and veggies to share a scrumptious treat. In fact, the next few Tried and True recipes will all be sweets. Sorry, but not sorry! ;
These Chocolate Marshmallow Meltaways were quick to make and easy to eat! I’ve never been a fan of butter flavored shortening, so we used regular. Other than that, we stuck close to the original recipe. Why mess up a good thing? I loved the combination of the thick, chewy cookie, with the fluffy marshmallow in the middle, and the silky frosting on top. So good! And it makes a lot, so this is a great recipe for your next holiday party!
Here is the recipe…
- ½ cup shortening
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup baking cocoa
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 18 large marshmallows, halved
- 3 TB butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 TB baking cocoa
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 4 - 6 TB milk
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; gradually add dry mixture to shortening and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and press a marshmallow half, cut side down, onto each cookie; bake for 2 minutes longer. Remove to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat butter, powdered sugar, cocoa and salt until smooth. Add milk to achieve your desired consistency. Frost and Enjoy!
Adapted from www.tasteofhome.com
HOW MANY DOES IT YIELD: 3 dozen
ANY CHANGES MADE: used regular shortening in place of butter shortening
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT TIME: none
For all dessert recipes on the site be sure to head HERE.
For all recipes go HERE.
BEHIND THE SCENES AT LIL’ LUNA:
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!