Hello Lil’ Luna readers! I cannot tell you how excited I am to be here today. Lil’ Luna is one of my favorite blogs and I just adore everything Kristyn does. What a huge honor it is to be sharing a fun treat with all of you today! In case we’ve never met, I’m Taryn from Design, Dining + Diapers. A place where I share a little bit of everything but mainly home decor projects, seasonal crafts and allergy friendly recipes.
Do you typically go all out for Halloween with lots of tricks or do you keep it fun and full of treats? I can’t even watch a scary movie without being up all night, which means I definitely take the ‘fun and cutesy’ approach to Halloween! Can anyone else relate?
I’m sure most of you will be attending a Halloween party or two this year and you’ll most likely need to bring a little treat along, right? Well, I’m here with an easy, yet festive solution for you. These Chocolate Spiderweb Cupcakes are super easy and quite yummy!
Yes, these are a little creepy but I think they can be cute at the same time! And if you are trying to get your kids to stay away from the sweets, just keep these around. My daughter was so scared of the spiders that she ran out of the room every time I offered her a cupcake
Start by making a basic chocolate cupcake (my recipe is below). Then cream together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk for the frosting. Set aside 1/4 cup of the cream cheese frosting in separate bowl and add cocoa powder, vanilla and milk. Make sure the chocolate frosting is on the thinner side so it is easier to draw the ‘webs’. Place it into a plastic bag and cut a very tiny hole in the tip.
Frost your cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting. Take the bag filled with chocolate frosting and place a dot of frosting in the center of the cupcake and then make two additional circles. Place a toothpick in the center circle and draw a line to the outside of the cupcake.
I placed my cupcakes in festive cupcake liners I found at the Dollar Tree and topped them off with glitter spiders I found at the grocery store. I just hope I don’t find any of these in my bed any time soon!
Chocolate Spiderweb Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs (I use Ener-G Egg Replacer)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (only if making them gluten-free)
- 1 1/2 cups flour ( I use gluten-free flour mix)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 butter
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together eggs, sugar, vanilla and water.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the above mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Line a cupcake tin with liners and fill them 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until you can pull a toothpick out clean.
- Cream together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and butter for the frosting.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of the cream cheese frosting in separate bowl and add cocoa powder, vanilla and milk. Make sure the chocolate frosting is on the thinner side so it is easier to make the ‘webs’. If the frosting is too thick, it won’t spread easily.
- Place the chocolate frosting into a plastic bag and cut a very tiny hole in the tip.
- Frost your cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting.
- Take the bag filled with chocolate frosting and place a dot of frosting in the center of the cupcake and then make two additional circles.
- Place a toothpick in the center circle and draw a line to the outside of the cupcake. Repeat until the ‘web’ is formed.
- Garnish with spiders!
What do you think, creepy or cute?
Here is a peek at some of the other projects you can find on my blog:
Thank you Kristyn for having me over today. It was so great to ‘meet’ all of you
Thank you so much for being here today, Taryn!
These cupcakes are adorable… and look delish!!
Be sure to head over to Design, Dining and Diapers to check out the rest of Taryn’s cute creations.