I don’t know about you, but breakfast or brunch is my all time favorite meal. At night I dream about what I will be making and eating the next morning. And on weekends or holidays when we don’t need to rush out the door, our breakfast is a BIG deal. Although, with a growing teenage boy in the house pretty much all of our meals are a BIG deal.
I used to be an egg gal. Thanks to my dad, eggs benedict has always been my breakfast of choice for special occasions. This past Christmas was the first year I have not made it in probably 20 years, and that was only because I was on an airplane. My kids have never been eggs benedict fans, so lately crepes and waffles have been taking over our top breakfast spot, and I don’t mind one bit. I think I could waffles all. the. things.
and if chocolate, and hazelnuts, and raspberry are involved….
well how can you pass that up. These waffles are basically nutella in waffle form with some raspberry sauce added in for good measure. I’m thinking that these would be a welcome addition to your mother’s day breakfast in bed tray (hint hint hint to all you dads or kids out there).
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup hazelnuts, skins removed
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- raspberry sauce (puree 1 cup of berries with 2-3 Tbsp sugar depending on your berries sweetness, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice) and shaved chocolate for topping (optional)
- heat and grease (if needed) your waffle maker
- pulse the hazelnuts in a food processor until you have a coarse meal
- combine the hazelnut meal, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt
- whisk together the milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla
- pour wet ingredients over the dry and stir to combine
- pour batter onto waffle iron and cook until browned and crispy on the edges (about 2 -3 minutes depending on your waffle maker)
- repeat with remaining batter
- serve waffles with raspberry sauce and shaved chocolate
These hazelnut and chocolate waffles will make any morning feel like a special occasion.
Chocolate waffles with REAL hazelnut…? This sounds like a dream.
Definitely need to try this recipe soon… Or maybe I’ll suggest it to my husband for breakfast in bed. 😉
Thanks for sharing Heather!! For more recipes from her, check out Heather’s French Press.
And for more breakfast ideas, check out these recipes:
For all breakfast recipes, go HERE.
For all recipes on the site, go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Don’t miss a thing – Sign up for the Lil’ Luna Newsletter today!
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!