It’s that time of year when fruits and salads are all I crave! Let’s be honest – I want salad all year long, but it’s especially this time of year that I feel like I’m consuming it all the time and make up any excuse to go out to get some. 😉 This is also the time of year when people are ready to head outdoors and barbecue. We’ve already started doing that these past few weeks and have been enjoying the great weather and the yummy food. Today’s recipe is one my mom and sisters tried out that they said would be perfect for any barbecue or get together.
The best part about a recipe like this is that you can change it up any way you’d like to include all the yummy salad ingredients you like. For this one, they added peas, ham and olives. Other options include any other kind of meat, peppers, eggs, celery, nuts – you name it.
Personally, I think after the lettuce and pasta I would have layered, chopped eggs, chicken, cucumber and tomatoes. YUMMY!
The homemade dressing is what really brings this salad all together and is so delicious!!
Here’s the recipe for you to make too:
- 4 C. mini penne or your favorite pasta
- ¾ C. mayonnaise
- ¾ C. sour cream
- 1 ½ tsp/ white sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. champagne vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- 4 C. chopped romaine lettuce
- ¼ C. chopped green bell pepper
- ½ C. frozen green peas
- ¼ C. chopped celery
- ¼ C. sliced red onion (optional)
- 2 C. chopped cooked ham, chicken, tuna or salmon
- ½ C. sliced black olives
- ½ C. grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook your choice of pasta according to directions. Drain and cool.
- Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, white sugar, vinegar, Dijon mustard, dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce and celery salt in a medium bowl
- In a large bowl, start layering ingredients as follows: Lettuce, then pasta... from there you add the ingredients you like...green peppers, frozen peas, chopped celery, red onion, Meat (ham, chicken, tuna), black olives, dressing
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or at minimum 12 hours. Toss all ingredients right before serving.
I always love a good salad recipe!!
For more great salads and sides perfect for barbecues, be sure to check out these favorites:
For all salad recipes on the site go HERE.
For all the recipes go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Pictures for this recipe were taken by contributor, Alicia, of The Baker Upstairs.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!