It wasn’t too long ago that I made a Strawberries and Cream Angel Food Cake Trifle that was a HUGE hit with the family. The kids have been begging to have it again and with strawberry season ending soon I knew I just had to make this yummy treat at least once more.
Rewind to a few weeks ago when I saw this recipe via Pinterest from Betty Crocker for a Red, White and Blue Trifle that looked like a patriotic version of my trifle. I knew I had to make it because it just looks so pretty and festive. The recipe didn’t call for angel food cake which is one of my favorite parts of the trifle, but no worries – it was just as delicious!!
This easy treat is so fun to make and will be perfect for your upcoming Fourth of July celebrations.
Pretty, right? The best part about this dessert is it’s so nice and cool and refreshing and is perfect for the warm weather on Independence Day.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 White Cake Mix
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 TB red food coloring
- 1/2 TB blue food coloring
- 1 white chocolate pudding box 3.3 oz. size
- 2 cups milk
- 1 COOL WHIP tub Large
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven o 325 and spray TWO 8-inch square pans.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, buttermilk, oil, eggs and cocoa until well combined.
- Divide batter into two bowls. Add red food coloring to one bowl and blue food coloring to the other bowl. Mix each bowl well until color is thoroughly mixed through the batter.
- Add red mix to one 8 inch square pan and the blue mix to the other pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool.
- Make the cream mixture by making your pudding as directed on the box. Add the large tub of cool whip and mix well.
- Cut cake into 1 inch squares.
- Add 1/3 pudding mixture to your trifle dish.
- Add a layer of blue cake mix squares and sliced strawberries.
- Add another 1/3 pudding mixture on top of that.
- Add a layer of red cake mix squares and then top with remaining pudding mixture.
- Top with sprinkles. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Lots of pictures I know, but I just loved the colors SO much and couldn’t narrow it down to just 3.
So many great creations!!
Be sure to check them out.
For all Fourth of July ideas on Lil’ Luna go HERE.