If you follow me on social media, you guys know that we love Mexican Rice in our family. We make it weekly and it’s the perfect side dish to all the Mexican recipes we make each month (enchiladas, tostadas, flautas – you name it!) While we had some company here during Spring Break, we had a Mexican dinner night and my friend told me about a new recipe their family was obsessed with. It was for Mexican Sour Cream Rice from Just a Pinch. I checked out the recipe and realized it had so many of my favorite ingredients – sour cream, green chiles, Monterey Jack cheese, corn, CILANTRO!!I knew we had to give it a try. I only modified it a bit and next time I think I’ll use a Mexican cheese blend instead of just Monterey Jack, but either way, the recipe was delicious!! We loved how it turned out and I can honestly say that this will be a new family favorite. Since we make our regular Mexican rice recipe each week, I think we’ll have to start switching it off every other week because this recipe was so good. In fact, I think you could add shredded chicken and it would be a great dinner recipe too, and not just a side. 😉
This is what you’ll need to make the recipe:
- 1 - 14 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked, long grain rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ox. can green chiles
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack/Mexican cheese (divided)
- 1 - 15.25 oz. can corn, drained
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped (and divided)
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add rice and chicken broth to a large pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 16-18 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat when done and add sour cream, green chiles, ½ cup cheese, corn, half the cilantro, and garlic salt. Mix well.
- Pour rice mixture into a greased 8x8 pan and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Top with fresh cilantro and serve warm. ENJOY!
Recipe adapted from Just a Pinch.
Minus the corn, this recipe reminds me a lot of our Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas!! YUM!
For more great sides to go with your next Mexican meal, check out:
For all Side recipes go HERE.
For all Recipes go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!