Hello again, Lil’ Luna friends, and happy spring! I have a delicious spring treat to share with you today. When the weather is starting to warm up and the flowers are starting to bloom, somehow all I want to do is eat coconut. I would have to say that, along with lemon, it’s one of the flavors I associate most strongly with spring. (Is it weird that I associate flavors with seasons?) I’ll take coconut pretty much any way I can get it, but these toasted coconut cookie bars are particularly delicious!
These bars have a soft and buttery sugar cookie base, topped with a creamy and indulgent toasted coconut buttercream. A little extra toasted coconut sprinkled on top makes them extra special and pretty! The bars are really straightforward and easy to make, and I love that they have all the deliciousness of a sugar cookie with none or the rolling and cutting. You should definitely make these to celebrate spring!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons half and half or milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray, then set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and coconut extract, and mix until well combined. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt to form a thick dough.
- Press the dough into the prepared pan to form an even layer, and poke the dough every few inches with a fork so it will bake evenly. Bake 17-20 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely.
- While the cookies are baking, toast the coconut. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add the coconut and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, and half and half until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, coconut extract, and salt, and beat again until fluffy. Fold in the toasted coconut, reserving ¼ cup for sprinkling on top.
- Spread over the cooled cookies and sprinkle with reserved coconut. Cut into squares (I did 24 squares, but you can make them as big or small as you would like). Enjoy!
These look amazing, Alicia – and the frosting looks even better!!!
For more yummy favorites from Alicia here on Lil’ Luna, check out:
And for more great BAR recipes here on Lil’ Luna check out: