This post is sponsored by Huggies. As always, all opinions, are 100% my own.
As you have heard from me before I get so much joy out of my kids, and I especially absolutely love the baby and toddler stages. I think one reason why I love it so much is because I truly am their best friend. There is so much fun that you can have with your little one, but unfortunately, time does not always permit a big, extravagant play time. With cooped up winter days around the corner, I thought it would be good to compile a list of some of the easiest and simple ways to have fun with your children while being indoors. These activities may not seem like anything extremely special, but all too often I have found myself trying to figure out what we could do. Because of that, I thought it would be helpful to have a list in one place for us to all go to when we have spare time to spend with the kids or when they are driving you nuts and you need to show them a little love and attention. One thing you will notice that is the same with all of these activities is that it will get your kids up and moving. This is not only good for their health, but studies have shown this is good for their mental wellbeing as well. Now it is important to keep in mind that as your babies are jumping and running around, that diaper between their legs can become very uncomfortable and can make that playtime not so fun.
Over the years, I have come to be very impressed with Huggies Little Movers Diapers as they don’t hinder playtime. They have focused the entire design of this diaper line on making it comfortable and easy to move around. It’s called the Moving Baby System and it includes a DryTouch liner that keeps the moisture away from your kid’s skin so it doesn’t chafe. It’s contoured and tapered between the legs (so it’s not so bulky to run), and the double set of velcros on each side has to make sure everything stays in place. With this diaper, your baby will get the most out of every reach, jump, rock, roll and hug, and that is important for these indoor activities.
These are Merkley-kid approved activities that all my children have enjoyed over the years. Be sure to leave a comment below sharing your favorite indoor kid activities so I can try them out and add them to the list!!
MY OTHER RECIPES
- BUBBLES – every kid loves bubbles!! Blow some bubbles or invest in some bubble guns to provide loads of fun for the little ones.
- PEEK A BOO or HIDE N SEEK – play a few rounds of this popular game and before you know it, it will be their favorite thing to do.
- DANCE – we have daily dance parties at our house. We love to dress up for these dance parties too! No better way to burn up some energy and get some wiggles out than dancing.
- SING – all of my kids love to sing! I may not have been blessed with a great singing voice, but that doesn’t keep me from belting some tunes with the family. We love pulling up music on the TV and having our own little Karaoke party.
- ROLL THE BALL – bouncy balls can be so much fun. We try to get ones that are at least 5″ – 6″ wide and will spend time rolling them back and forth to each other or bouncing them to each other.
- PLAYING WITH MAGNETS – Grab an old metal baking pan or sheet and let the kids play on them with some magnets. We have some animal magnets we love and we also use this time to teach the different animals and the noises they make.
- PLAY WITH STICKERS – Stickers are an inexpensive and fun way to keep kids busy. Add them to paper or coloring books for a simple way to play.
- PLAY WITH CARS – We have collected a number of toy cars from garage sales and family members and love using a box or wood sign as a ramp to play on. We lean the board on the couch and the kids love spending time playing with their cars on it. We also use this time to learn about our colors.
- PIPE CLEANER FUN – pick up some pipe cleaners at your local craft store and let the kids play, make bracelets and more with these fun, fuzzy items.
- WATER FUN – place water in a large tupperware or bin and let them play with water toys (protect the ground with shower curtain)
- PLAY WITH LEGOS/BLOCKS – All of my kids have enjoyed playing with blocks and love to build with these fun toys.
- MAKE COOKIES – The kids love playing in the kitchen and whether they are No Bake Cookies or classic Chocolate Chip Cookies, your kids will learn to love baking at a young age if you bring them in the kitchen with you.
- DOODLE BOARDS + COLORING – Most kids love to color so with young kids washable crayons are our best friends!! Be sure to pick some up and teach your children about coloring and drawing while they are young. Since I love to color and draw, this is something we do on a daily basis and because of it, all of my kids love ART and coloring, which I love!
- RIDING BLANKETS – Didn’t get your exercise in for the day? No problem! Just grab a blanket and let the kids ride them while you go up and down the hallways. I promise your kids will love this activity, even if it lasts just 5 minutes. 😉
- MAKE A NECKLACE – use yarn and cereal to make homemade bracelets and necklaces for the family.
- EDIBLE PLAY DOUGH – Kids love to play with this edible play dough! Roll out and use cookie cutters to cut into shapes to play with.
- PLAY WITH A BOX – Old boxes can be amazing toys for kids. Let the kids color on them and play in them to help provide hours of entertainment.
- READ BOOKS – I have been collecting board books for as long as I can remember. I’m a huge believer of taking time to read to your children because I think it helps instill a love for books and reading at a young age.
- OBSTACLE COURSE – homemade obstacle courses are the best! Over the pillows and under the chairs – your kids will love having a safe and soft course to complete in the house.
- HOMEMADE GAK – Even the hubby and I like to join in on the fun when Gak is involved. It takes just a few ingredients to make and provides hours of entertainment, especially perfect on really cold or hot days.
I hope these activities provide tons of fun and great memories for you and your littles. Would love to know what you enjoy doing most with your children indoors, so be sure to leave a comment letting me know.
Huggies® believes deeply in the Power of Hugs. The simple, loving act is proven to support babies’ emotional and physiological well-being. Huggies® diapers and wipes are inspired by a parent’s hug, – to nurture baby with care, cradle baby in comfort and surround baby in protection. Huggies® Little Movers Diapers have a Moving Baby System™, so baby can explore more with a comfy fit that lasts. Learn more at Huggies.com. #HuggiesCouncil