Don’t miss a thing – Sign up for the Lil’ Luna Newsletter today!
I am a huge fan of bar cookies. They can be whipped up in just a few minutes, and they are always a crowd pleaser. These Cherry Sugar Cookie Bars are a new favorite. They are similar to my sugar cookie bars, but with a cherry twist. Absolutely scrumptious!
I just love all those juicy little cherries poking out. So yummy!
- ¾ cup maraschino cherries, finely chopped (about half of a 16oz jar)
- ¾ cup soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- dash of salt
- 2½ - 3 cups powdered sugar
- For bars: Drain cherries well. Chop and set aside. Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and almond extract. Add flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir till combined. Fold in the cherries.
- Press dough into a well greased 9x13" pan. (I like to line mine with foil first.) Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes or till very lightly brown on the edges.
- Cool bars completely, then frost with cream cheese frosting.
- Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter till smooth and creamy. Beat in vanilla, almond extract, salt, and enough powdered sugar to make a spreadable frosting. Spread on bars.
These cherry bars couldn’t be easier. You start with a basic cookie dough. The almond extract is a perfect compliment to the cherries, and makes them extra delicious!
The dough is pretty stiff, but just press firmly till it is evenly spread in the bottom of the pan. I like to get my hands wet so the dough doesn’t stick to them as easily.
They are actually pretty tasty as is, but spreading a layer of cream cheese frosting on top makes them simply irresistible!
Add a few red and pink sprinkles on top, and these bars are just perfect for Valentine’s Day. But you can omit them, and they are just as tasty. Truth be told, I actually prefer them without the sprinkles!
I can eat way too many of these pretty little bars. So scrumptious!
Oh my goodness these look DELICIOUS! I’m a huge fan of almond extract, so these are right up my alley. 😉
Thanks for sharing, Kara!
For more amazing recipes by her, go on and visit her over at Creations by Kara!
And for more recipes perfect for Valentine’s Day, check out these posts!
For all Valentine’s ideas, go HERE.
For all deserts, go HERE.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!