Chicken Stuffing Casserole is a family favorite for dinners and holidays. With chicken, stuffing, gravy, and green beans – it has a little bit of everything, making it a crowd pleaser!
This is one of the best savory casseroles, similar to both green bean casserole and thanksgiving leftover casserole, but with chicken, green beans, and stuffing. It’s a hodgepodge of lots of ingredients that make for a tasty dinner!
Chicken + Stuffing + Green Beans
Casserole dishes are some of our very favorites for dinner, and especially the holidays. We know that dishes like Twice Baked Potato Casserole and Green Bean Casserole are favorites, but today we are hoping to introduce you to another dish that you will love.
This Chicken and Green Bean casserole (aka Chicken Stuffing Casserole) is a family favorite. We feel like you get a little bit of everything with the chicken, green beans and stuffing.
We also love that it is very simple. There are a few steps needed to prep the chicken, stuffing, and veggies, but they’re easy and result in a very flavorful, hearty casserole perfect to enjoy all year long.
ASSEMBLING YOUR Casserole
STUFFING. To begin, prepare the stuffing according to package directions.
CHICKEN. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter on medium heat. Add chicken and sprinkle with pepper. Cook for 5 minutes on each side, until chicken is cooked through. Place chicken in a sprayed 9×13 baking dish.
GREEN BEANS. In the same skillet, cook and stir beans for about 6 minutes, or until beans are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with flour and stir for an additional minute. Stir in broth and let simmer for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Spoon over chicken and top with stuffing.
BAKE. Bake uncovered at 400 for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Can I use frozen green beans? You can definitely use frozen green beans. Be sure to still trim them to bite sized pieces, or you can buy a frozen package where the beans have already been cut. Also, you may need to cook them a few minutes longer than the recipe states.
Can I add extra gravy? Of course! In step 3 add an additional ⅛ of flour and an additional ¾ cup of chicken broth to help create more gravy in the casserole.
Making Ahead of Time + Storing
Can I make this ahead of time and bake later? This is an ideal make ahead recipe! You can keep it covered in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking it.
You can also also freeze this before baking. Prepare the casserole as directed, except under cook the green beans. Cover the casserole with plastic wrap and again with aluminum foil. Freeze both for 2-3 months. Thaw, then make the stuffing and add to the top of the casserole and bake. I do have to note that the frozen cream cheese may cause the texture to be slightly different.
Also, it can be frozen with the stuffing on, but we prefer to make that part fresh. 😉
Storing Leftovers: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven. I do not recommend freezing leftovers as the green beans will wilt and the stuffing will become soggy.
In case you get stuck with the “casserole” assignment ever year and you wanna switch it up, here are some more awesome casserole recipes just for you that can all be made ahead of time: 😉
- Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole
- French Onion Chicken Casserole
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Chicken Stuffing Casserole Recipe
- 6 oz chicken stuffing mix
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans trimmed, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 5 oz cream cheese cubed
- Prepare stuffing according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter on medium heat. Add chicken and sprinkle with pepper. Cook for 5 minutes on each side, until chicken is cooked through. Place chicken in a sprayed 9x13 baking dish.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir beans for about 6 minutes, or until beans are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with flour and stir for an additional minute.
- Stir in broth and let simmer for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Spoon over chicken and top with stuffing.
- Bake uncovered at 400 for 30 minutes or until heated through.