My name is Roxana and I’m the blogger behind Roxana’s Home Baking, where I share original and adapted easy recipes, mostly made from scratch with simple and widely accessible ingredients.
I’m so happy to be here today, on Kristyn’s blog to share one of my favorite cakes to snack on while sipping on a hot cup of coffee. I mean, who doesn’t love a little piece of cake for breakfast or after dinner and I don’t know about you, but streusel topping covered cakes makes me all giddy. All I want to do is pick those sweet buttery crumbs and eat them first, before taking a bite of the cake.
This chocolate cake is so easy to make, you’ll be baking it over and over again and since it yields an entire 13X9″ pan it’s quite a crowd pleaser.
Just like any other cake, you need the basic ingredients – butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, cocoa powder and to keep the cake super moist and tender, greek yogurt.
For the streusel topping you’ll need flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and chocolate chips. I used mini chocolate chips since they mix in better (and seem like a whole lot more) than regular chocolate chips.
To make the cake you need to cream the butter with the sugar for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy before beating in the eggs and vanilla extract.
The dry ingredients : flour and cocoa are added alternately with the greek yogurt. Stir gently until just combined, making sure you don’t over mix the batter.
Spoon the cake batter into the baking pan and top with the streusel topping. 40 or so minutes later you can brew some coffee and enjoy a piece of cake.
Now the day can start!
Craving more? Sign up for Roxana’s Home Baking email newsletter and get all the recipes sent right to your inbox!
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups greek yogurt
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line a 13X9" baking pan with parchment paper, leaving about 1 inch of paper hanging on the sides.
- To make the streusel, add the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter to a food processor. Pulse a couple of times until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. With a fork, stir in the chocolate chips. Set aside while you make the cake batter.
- In a mixing bowl, add the soft butter and sugar. With the paddle attachment on, beat on low speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the greek yogurt to the creamed butter. Stir until just combined.
- Spoon the cake batter into the prepared baking pan and top with the streusel topping.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Sending love your way, Roxana
This cake looks amazing! Like Roxana, I want to sit and pick off that streusel and eat it now!!
For more great recipes from Roxana head on over to Roxana’s Home Baking. 🙂
For more great cakes to try this holiday season, check out:
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!