Everyone loves these cheesy taquitos! They’re filled with chicken, cream cheese, salsa, and spinach and are great as appetizers or even a main dish.
We have Hispanic food EVERY week. Without fail, we are having tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas or taquitos one day during the week and the kids love them. I’m so grateful for that because I love these recipes too, and they’re usually really easy to make.
Today, I wanted to share our favorite taquitos recipe – Cream Cheese and Chicken Taquitos.
What are TAQUITOS? A Mexican dish consisting of a small tortilla that is rolled around a filling of meat and cheese and then deep-fried.
They are very similar to the chicken tacos we make all the time, but they have cream cheese, salsa, and baby spinach mixed in with it too. Tacos are usually folded, and these taquitos (aka Flautas) are rolled. Since my husband LOVES cream cheese, I knew he’d love this recipe and it’s become a family favorite since!
How to make Taquitos
These have definitely become family favorites, and I love how easy they are to make.
OIL. Begin by heating ½ inch oil on medium heat in a frying pan.
MIX. While the oil is heating up, mix together cooked, shredded chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, co-jack cheese and spinach. Add salt and pepper to taste.
ROLL + FRY. Once the oil is hot enough, add a few tablespoons of the chicken/cream cheese mixture along the center of the corn tortilla and spread out. Roll up and set seam side down (using tongs) into the oil.
DRAIN OIL. Cook these until golden brown on both sides and continue doing this until the mixture is gone. Set on paper towel lined plate to drain the oil and serve warm.
Baking, Making Ahead + Storing
Can you bake taquitos? Yes, you can! We even have a recipe for it, so GO HERE to get our baked chicken taquito recipe.
Can you make these taquitos ahead of time? You can definitely make the chicken/cream cheese mixture ahead of time. We typically do this when we know it will be a busy night. To make ahead, just store and cover in the fridge for up to 24 hours in advance.
Can you freeze taquitos? The cream cheese and chicken mix freezes well. We just place in freezer-safe Ziploc bags and get as much air out. They day I’m ready to make them, I just pull them from the freezer and let them thaw completely, which is perfect for those crazy busy days.
Another thing I love about this recipe is that they are great to make as the main dish or even an appetizer. Either way, I know you’ll love these Cream Cheese and Chicken Taquitos because they are DELICIOUS!
What to serve with chicken taquitos:
For more taquito recipes, check out:
Chicken Taquitos Recipe
- 3 cups chicken cooked and shredded
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cups colby jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach chopped and stems removed
- 12 6 inch corn tortillas
- vegetable or canola oil for frying
- Heat ½" oil in a sauce pan on medium heat.
- In a large bowl mix together the chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, co-jack and spinach. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once oil is hot enough (place hand over pan, above oil, to feel heat), add a few tablespoons of chicken/cream cheese mixture to the center of a tortilla and spread out. Roll up and set seam side down in oil using tongs. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Repeat until all the tortillas are filled, rolled and fried.
- Set on paper towels to drain.
- Serve warm and ENJOY!
Recipe adapted from Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice