Easy Frozen Grasshopper Squares are creamy and delish. They are filled with Oreos, chocolate, and mint ice cream!
These refreshing frozen grasshopper squares are fun and festive. They are are great any time of the year, but are especially fun at St. Patrick’s Day. For more festive treats try Shamrock Slice and Bake Cookies, Rainbow Fruity Pebbles Treat, and Treasure Hunt.
Green + Minty
This frozen grasshopper square dessert is one that I think would be a perfect green dessert for St. Patrick’s Day. It came from Kraft Foods. It is cool and creamy, and filled with Oreo and mint! What could be better than that?
What’s great about it as well is that it’s easy and is sooo good. If you like mint and Oreos, I promise you’ll love this next recipe cuz man, was it good! It is one of our fave desserts!
This is the perfect Green Dessert for St. Patrick’s Day and is super easy, which is something I always look for. 🙂
Making Grasshopper dessert
PREP. Line a 9×13 pan with foil so that it hangs over the sides.
OREO. Crush 20 or so Oreos until they are fine and pour into the bottom of the pan.
ICE CREAM. Crush remaining Oreos and mix in with softened Ice Cream. Pour over the bottom layer of crushed Oreos and spread evenly.
TOPPINGS. Top with Cool Whip and chocolate curls. Freeze for 4-5 hours.
SERVE. Lift foil from sides to take dessert out and cut into squares. ENJOY!
Tips + Storing Info
Everyone knows that you should let ice cream sit on the counter for a few minutes to soften it up before scooping, but not everyone remembered to do so. If you’re in a time crunch and need to soften ice cream quickly or, in this case soften a large amount, I would suggest combining a few different methods.
- Microwave: Heat at 30% power for 30 second increments until it’s soft enough to scoop.
- Hot ice cream scoop: Use hot water to warm up the ice cream scoop. Dry off water before scooping. Repeat after every 1-2 scoops
- Use a stand mixer: Attach the paddle and mix the ice cream scoops until they begin to smooth out.
I don’t think there is such a thing as too much mint chocolate. To make this grasshopper treat even more minty try using mint oreos. You can also add chopped mint chocolates such as Andes Mints or Jr. Mints.
To cut this grasshopper cake, depending on how frozen your cake is you may need to allow a few minutes for it to thaw. You can put it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes or let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes. Use a sharp, long, serrated knife, dip it in hot water to warm it up, wipe off the water and cut your slices. Warm the knife up in water after every 1-2 cuts.
You can easily change things up by using a different pan. Though you may need to adjust the ingredient amounts to fit the pan size or use more than one pan. Pie plates and round springform pans are both great alternatives.
For best results STORE in the freezer for about 7 days. Beyond that ice crystals tend to form and the quality and taste of the cake begin to degrade.
More Mint desserts
- Grasshopper Fudge Cream Cake
- Mint Oreo Shakes
- Oreo Chocolate Mint Candy Cup
- Chocolate Andes Mint Cookies
Frozen Grasshopper Squares
- 30 Oreos divided
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 6 cups Mint Ice Cream softened
- Chocolate Curls
- Line a 9x13 pan with foil so that it hangs over the sides.
- Crush 20 or so Oreos until they are fine and pour into the bottom of the pan.
- Crush remaining Oreos and mix in with softened Ice Cream. Pour over the bottom layer of crushed Oreos and spread evenly.
- Top with Cool Whip and chocolate curls.
- Freeze for 4-5 hours.
- Lift foil from sides to take dessert out and cut into squares. ENJOY!