These are the BEST Garlic Mashed Potatoes. The cream cheese, milk, and butter mixed in make these potatoes so smooth and creamy. You’ll want to make These Easy garlic mashed potatoes as a side dish for every meal after trying this recipe!
Homemade Garlic Mashed Potatoes
On Tuesday I shared my family’s recipe for Funeral Potatoes. As mentioned in that post, we always have these on Thanksgiving, but we still also have mashed potatoes. My mom had been making the same recipe for years but last year tried a new recipe from my friend Kara that she likes even better now. The recipe makes super creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes that the whole family loves. Best of all, it’s super easy, and I can’t wait to try it for this Thanksgiving.
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE garlic. Everything tastes better with garlic! And this is definitely the case with mashed potatoes. They’re so savory and flavorful, you would have no idea how simple the ingredients are just by tasting them. But the garlic is just the perfect hint – the flavor isn’t overwhelming by any means. If you love Mashed Potatoes, you will definitely want to give these a try. 🙂
How to Make Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
These mashed potatoes don’t take long at all to make! Letting the potatoes boil is the most time consuming step of the recipe! All you have to do is:
- Place potatoes, salt and garlic in a large pot and fill with water making sure the water covers the potatoes.
- Bring to a simmer, and let the potatoes simmer for about 18-20 minutes, or until they are easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes and mash (if you don’t have a potato masher, you can mash with a large fork, or just slice through the potato pieces with a butter knife until they are mostly broken up).
- Add cream cheese, milk and butter and mix with a mixer until it’s the consistency you want it. We like ours to be really smooth and creamy, but if you like more of a chunky texture, don’t mix as much.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and ENJOY!
Don’t they look so creamy and delicious?!
I’m a huge potato fan and love my mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving. Not sure about you but I’m already drooling thinking of all the yummy food that will be at Thanksgiving. I also cannot wait to be able to relax and enjoy that time off with family – the best part!!
For more potato recipes, check out:
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Brown Sugar Glazed Red Potatoes
- Potatoes Au Gratin
- Baked Parmesan Sweet Potatoes
- Funeral Potatoes
- Buttery Parsley Potatoes
Homemade Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe
These are the BEST Garlic Mashed Potatoes. The cream cheese, milk, and butter mixed in make these potatoes so smooth and creamy. You'll want to make garlic mashed potatoes as a side dish for every meal after trying this recipe!
- 7-8 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 tsp minced garlic
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 3-4 TB milk
- 2 TB butter
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Place potatoes, salt and garlic in a large pot and fill with water making sure the potatoes are covered.
Bring to a simmer, and let simmer for 18-20 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
Drain potatoes and mash. Add cream cheese, milk and butter and mix with a mixer until it's the consistency you want it.
Add salt and pepper to taste. ENJOY!
If you like these mashed potatoes, you might also like these Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes!