If you’re a fan of Mexican food, you’ll LOVE this Mexican Lasagna recipe! Flour tortillas layered with tons of cheese, shredded chicken, las palmas green chile enchilada sauce, black beans, corn, and lots of seasonings!!
a classic meal – mexican style!
As you probably know by now, my family are HUGE fans of Mexican food! We make it all the time for typical weeknight dinners, and you can pretty much guarantee that it will make an appearance at nearly every extended family gathering. In fact, it was actually my mom who found this recipe for Mexican Lasagna years and years ago in the LDS Living Magazine.
Let me preface by saying that this dish looked a lot like a casserole, and I’m not the biggest casserole lover. But I decided to try it anyway, and to my surprise it was one of the best recipes I had tried in a LOOOONG time!
It’s called Mexican Lasagna because all of the ingredients are layered, similar to a traditional lasagna. Except they are all ingredients you would find in Mexican food! Tortillas instead of noodles, chicken in green chile sauce instead of beef in tomato sauce, black beans instead of spinach… You get the picture!
Bottom line, it’s sooooo cheesy and delicious, plus it’s extremely simple to put together! Trust me, this Mexican Lasagna recipe will not leave you disappointed.
How to make mexican lasagna
TORTILLAS. Cut tortillas in half, and set aside.
LAYER. In a prepared 9×13 pan, scoop ⅓ of the chicken mixture into the bottom of the pan, spreading it evenly. Place one layer of cut tortillas over the chicken mixture. Top the tortillas with ⅓ of your shredded cheese. Repeat layering the chicken mixture, tortillas and cheese two more times. So in the end, there will be 3 layers of the chicken, tortilla, and cheese sequence.
(Tip: place the tortillas with the straight edge where you cut it against the side of the pan, and then fill in the remaining hole in the middle.)
BAKE. Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. The dish should be cooked all the way through.
SERVE. We like to serve our Mexican Lasagna with additional sour cream and cilantro, but this is totally optional!
Additions and Substitutions
- Extra Ingredients: Try adding olives, diced onions, sliced jalapenos, or chili peppers.
- Tortillas: Substitute the flour tortillas with similarly sized corn tortillas.
- Chicken: If you don’t have time to make shredded chicken, you can use canned chicken or a rotisserie chicken and shred with fork.
- Cheese: Using a different cheese bend can certainly change up the flavor. We recommend a Mexican cheese blend but you can try a ry grated marble colby jack, or a cheddar and pepper jack blend.
Making ahead and storing
Make ahead of time: Before baking your Mexican lasagna, cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. Remove plastic and bake according to recipe directions.
Left overs: Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in an oven. Preheat to 350 degrees F and bake for about 10-15 minutes depending on the quantity of leftovers.
Freezer: Cover uncooked dish with plastic wrap adding foil over the top sealing in the edges tightly. Label and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before heating. Bake according to recipe directions
This dish is perfect for large gatherings because it can easily feed a crowd. We like to make it for Cinco de Mayo whenever we have a party! Try Mexican Lasagna for your next get together, it will not disappoint. 😉
what to serve with mexican lasagna:
For more easy Mexican dishes, check out:
- Baked Taquitos
- Red Cheese Enchiladas
- Green Chili Smothered Burritos
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Creamy Refried Beans
Mexican Lasagna Recipe
- 1 lb chicken cooked and shredded
- 16 oz sour cream
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups Las Palmas Green Chile Enchilada sauce
- 15.25 oz corn drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 12 small flour tortillas
- 8 oz Mexican Cheese Blended shredded
- Cut tortillas in half and set aside.
- Mix chicken, sour cream, black beans, enchilada sauce, corn, half of cilantro and spices into a large bowl.
- In a 9x13 pan, scoop ⅓ of chicken mixture into the bottom of the pan. Spread evenly. Place one layer of cut tortillas over the chicken mixture. Top with ⅓ of shredded cheese. Repeat with chicken mixture, tortillas and cheese. In the end, there will be 3 layers of the chicken, tortilla, and cheese sequence.
- Bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes or until cheese is bubble or dish is cooked all the way through.
- Serve with additional sour cream and cilantro if desired.