We love sweet rolls at our house, and I am always looking for new flavor combinations. When I saw fresh strawberries at my local grocery store, I knew I needed to try Overnight Strawberry Cream Cheese Rolls. The cream cheese is a yummy addition, and makes them extra rich and delicious!
You can whip up a batch of these strawberry cream rolls at night, then chill them overnight in the refrigerator. Pop them in the oven the next morning for a delicious breakfast treat!
Next time you want a change from traditional cinnamon rolls, give this recipe a try!
After you make your dough, roll it out and spread it with the cream cheese mixture, then the strawberry filling. Roll up and pinch the edge to seal it. You will be setting aside some of the cream cheese filling to make a glaze later, so don’t forget!
Next cut into 12 rolls and place in a well greased 9×13″ pan. Some of the filling will ooze out as you cut the rolls, so just spoon it on top of each roll as you go.
Now cover the pan tightly with plastic wrap, and place the rolls in the refrigerator to chill overnight (8-10 hours). Take the rolls out and let them raise in a warm place for about an hour, or till doubled in size.
After you bake them, you will make up a glaze with the reserved cream cheese filling. Drizzle it over the warm rolls. Oh my.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Rolls:
OVERNIGHT STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE ROLLS
- 1/2 cup water warm
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/4 - 4 3/4 cups flour
- 8 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 cup strawberries finely diced
- 1/3 cup reserved cream cheese mixture
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tsp milk
- splash vanilla
Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat in milk, melted butter, salt, eggs, and 1 cup of the flour. Beat till smooth. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead till smooth.
- Let dough rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Beat cream cheese till soft and fluffy. Add ¾ cup powdered sugar and beat till smooth. SET ASIDE ABOUT ⅓ CUP OF FILLING. In another small bowl, combine the jam and diced strawberries.
- Roll out dough on a greased counter top to a rectangle about 10x15". Spread on the cream cheese mixture, then the berries. Roll up and pinch the edge to seal.
Cut log into 12 slices and place in a well greased 9x13" pan. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Add the ½ cup of powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla to the reserved cream cheese mixture. Beat till smooth, adding enough milk to get a thin glaze. Then place icing in a ziplock bag in the fridge.
- Let rolls chill in the refrigerator for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- Remove rolls and bag of icing from the fridge. Place the rolls in a warm spot and let them rise till doubled (about an hour.)
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, or till done in the middle. You may need to cover them with foil to prevent over-browning.
- Cut a corner in the ziplock bag and glaze rolls while still warm.
Love sweet rolls? Here are a couple more mouthwatering recipes:
Oh my gosh Kara, these look divine!! We are big fans of sweet rolls in our family, and it’s always fun to try different variations! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I’m drooling over that cream cheese glaze! 😉 For more amazing recipes by Kara, be sure to head on over to Creations by Kara!
Here is another favorite cinnamon roll recipe:
And for more of our favorite sweet roll recipes, check out these posts here on the site: