Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese is stuffed with mozzarella, pepperoni sandwiched between two pieces of buttery garlic toast. It’s a fun twist on a classic.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sara Lee® Bread. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.
Pizza + Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a staple at our house, especially during winter and spring. They are so quick and easy to make! We’re always making them to go along with soup, or serving them with baked beans and fresh fruit.
Since April is National Grilled Cheese Month (April 12th is National Grilled Cheese Day) I thought it would be fun to share a tasty twist on a classic. This version tastes just like pepperoni pizza stuffed between garlic bread and wow is it good—a family favorite!
I used two slices of thick, soft Sara Lee®Artesano™ Bread – it’s the ORIGINAL artisan-style sliced bread. It happens to be free of high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavors and colors which is always a bonus in this mom’s book.
We love using it for French toast too! It’s also available in Golden Wheat, which includes a touch of honey, olive oil and sea salt!
How to make a pizza sandwich
Cooking your Pizza Sandwich: Because of all the gooey and delicious ingredients you want to cook this low and slow. That way the bread doesn’t burn before the cheese gets melty in the middle.
If you’re making just a few, the stove top skillet works well. But if you want to make several I suggest using an electric skillet.
COOK. Take one slice of Artesano Bread and put it into a hot skillet along with some butter. Add a slice of mozzarella cheese, followed by pepperoni and another slice of cheese. Place another piece of Artesano Bread on top, then cook and flip.
SPREAD. Once the cheese looks melty, spread the garlic butter on and cook on both sides for an additional 30 seconds. Remove and enjoy!
Tip: since the pepperoni doesn’t actually cook, you’ll want to place it onto a microwave-safe plate lined with a paper towel and cook it for about 20-25 seconds. This will also help release a lot of the grease. Dab it off and it’s ready to go.
Change out the cheese: Mozzarella is classic for pizza, but you can easily use other cheeses such as white cheddar, monterey Jack, gruyere. Not only can you change out the cheese, but you can also change the toppings:
- Bacon bits
- Sausage crumbles
Keep leftover sandwiches STORED in an airtight container in the fridge. You can also wrap them in plastic wrap and then again with foil, or store them together in a Ziploc and store them in the freezer.
Thaw, if applicable, and REHEAT in the oven or in a skillet.
For more pepperoni pizza, try:
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese recipe
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 slices Sara Lee® Artesano™ Bread
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, ⅛-inch thick
- 18 slices pepperoni cooked in microwave for 20 seconds and grease dabbed off
For the garlic butter
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp. fresh or dried parsley
- ¼ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- In a medium skillet set over medium-low heat, add the butter and melt. Place two pieces of toast side by side.
- To each slice of bread, add a slice of mozzarella, 9 pepperoni, and another slice of mozzarella. Place remaining slices of bread on top.
- Cook on each side for about 3 minutes or until the cheese is melty.
- Meanwhile, make the garlic butter. In a small microwave safe bowl, add the butter. Heat until melted. Stir in parsley, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt.
- Using a pastry brush, brush on both sides of grilled cheese. Cook on each side for 30 seconds. Remove, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and dip in your favorite marinara, if desired.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sara Lee Bread. The opinions and text are all mine.