This “Skinny” healthy Chicken Parmesan has all the tasty goodness of the classic meal, without the extra calories!
Comfort food gets lightened up with this Skinny Chicken Parmesan that is healthy, easy and totally delicious! Keep it on the light side by serving it up with Strawberry spinach salad or Tomato mozzarella salad!!
Healthy Chicken Parmesan
Today I’m sharing one of my family’s favorite quick and easy dinners that’s lighter on the calories – Skinny Chicken Parmesan (similar to our Skinny Chicken Piccata if you haven’t already tried it)! I don’t know about you, but I’ve been trying to eat better this month and have devoted myself to eating healthier dinners.
The normal version of Chicken Parmesan (which we still love) is usually fried and topped with lots of sauce and cheese and served with spaghetti. This version of Chicken Parmesan uses lean chicken, pounded thin, and then coated with a light bread crumb mixture.
The chicken is then baked and topped with a little spaghetti sauce and cheese. It still has all the same great flavors, but it much healthier than the original!
How to Bake Healthy Chicken Parmesan
PREP. Preheat oven to 350ºF and prepare a cookie sheet. Mix together bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning in a medium sized bowl.
COAT. Place chicken in between layers of plastic wrap and pound with mallet until about ¼” thick, or cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise so they are thinner. Beat egg in another medium sized bowl and dip each chicken breast in the egg and then dredge in bread crumbs.
BAKE. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Top each chicken breast with about 2 Tbsp. marinara sauce and about 2 Tbsp. mozzarella cheese. Bake for about 5-10 more minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is warmed up. And voila!
*Note* Follow our recipe here for homemade marinara sauce
Tips + SToring Info
Although the heaps of sauce, cheese, and pasta in a regular chicken parm recipe are pretty yummy, there are ways to achieve the same delicious flavors while keeping it light. Here are some ideas to keep chicken parmesan light:
- Instead of pasta, serve your chicken with spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles.
- Omit the noodles all together and opt for a side salad instead.
- Roast some veggies (like broccoli or brussel sprouts) to serve on the side.
If you want a lighter and crispier texture you can substitute the normal bread crumbs for panko crumbs.
If the breading is getting soggy it is most likely that your chicken wasn’t completely dry before you started dredging the chicken. That extra moisture is now making the flour soggy and it won’t allow the breading to stick to the chicken properly.
Make this in an air fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees and cook for 5-6 minutes on one side before flipping the chicken and cooking for another 5-6 minutes. Depending on the size of your chicken breasts it may take longer. Make sure that the breading is golden brown and that the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165 degrees.
FREEZE the breaded chicken before cooking, OR freeze the cooked chicken before topping it with sauce and cheese. Either way, wrap it in plastic wrap/tinfoil or seal in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to three months. If you freeze it uncooked, let it thaw in the fridge before cooking. Cook according to the recipe.
For even more baked chicken recipes:
- Bruschetta Chicken
- Baked BBQ Chicken
- Crispy Baked Ranch Chicken
- Baked Chicken Fingers
- Baked Pesto Chicken
Skinny Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated, refrigerated
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg beaten
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast filets
- your favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix together bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning in a medium sized bowl.
- Beat egg in another medium sized bowl.
- Place chicken in between layers of plastic wrap and pound with mallet until about ¼" thick.
- Dip each chicken breast in egg and then dredge in bread crumbs. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Top each chicken breast with about 2 Tbsp. marinara sauce and about 2 Tbsp. mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 5-10 more minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is warmed up.
- Serve with salad, spaghetti squash, or pasta. Enjoy!
Thank you for sharing Jen here from Yummy Healthy Easy.