Everything you need to know about the new Disney ride: Star Wars Rise of the Resistance. From how to get a boarding pass to all the information about heigh requirements and more!
the most Immersive Experience
I’ve been on quite a few Disney rides, and the new Star Wars Rise of the Resistance is the MOST immersive experience/ride I’ve yet to enjoy!
And that’s not an exaggeration. Everyone I have talked to feels the same. Star Wars fan or not, everyone can agree that Disney has outdone themselves yet again to create an experience like NO OTHER!
Join the Resistance in a battle against the First Order while riding this amazing new ride located in Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland and Walt Disney World!
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO…
The best chance at being able to experience Rise of the Resistance is to know as much as you can before you go. That’s what this post will help you with, along with the all the basic info about the ride.
So, what are things to note about this ride?
- Heigh Requirement is 40 inches
- LOCATION: If you take the walkway right before Hungry Bear restaurant, it takes you right to Rise of the Resistance. If you go through the entrance to Galaxy’s Edge past Thunder Mountain, you will have to walk through the land and past the market to get to the ride.
- The ride includes a trackless dark ride, motion simulators, walk through portions, a theater, holograms, a small drop, pyrotechnics and more!
- Right now, there is no Stand By line, FasPass or MaxPass to get on. It’s all through a virtual queue (more on that below).
You will help the Resistance on a secret mission but run into a little bit of trouble when you are intercepted by the First Order and get pulled onto the Star Destroyer. Through a series of twists and turns, you will make your way through the Star Destroyer but not before a few meetings with storm troopers and even Kylo Ren.
Even if you aren’t a Star Wars fan, you’ll still love how incredible and immersive the ride is. PROMISE!
Below I’ll share all the info needed to be able to get a BOARDING GROUP to enjoy Rise of the Resistance. Having said that, there are no guarantees that you will get a boarding group but knowing all of this information gives you a better chance at getting one. 😉
How to ride Rise of the resistance
1. Download the disney app + LINK TICKETS
For Disneyland, it’s the Disneyland app. For Walt Disney World, it’s the Walt Disney World My Disney Experience App. I highly encourage everyone to have this whether they are going on the ride or not, because it’s a lifesaver. And in this case, it’s a MUST for getting a boarding pass.
- Download the app a week before your visit to get familiar with. Set up your account (with a password that is easy to remember), link a credit card, figure out where everything is, and you will already be ahead of the game.
- Once the app is downloaded, be sure to MOVE it to your home screen for easy access. It’s something you will use often during your trip.
- Now that you have the app, LINK TICKETS for everyone in your party BEFORE going to the parks. This is helpful in booking FastPasses or MaxPasses, but also needed if you want to ride the Rise of the Resistance together in a group. If you are getting tickets the day of, go early and be sure to have the app and all tickets linked before entering the parks before park opening.
- Have everyone in your party get the app and link tickets so everyone can be trying to get a boarding group. The more trying to do it, the chances are more likely you’ll get a boarding group. 😉
2. Get to the Parks Early
Boarding Groups become available right at park opening, so get to the parks early. To do this, be sure to check park opening and also plan to walk to park entrance, go through security and also go through the line at park entrance.
Disneyland typically opens up lines early and lets guests through the gate before the park officially opens. I’d try to be IN the parks AT LEAST 15 minutes before park opening because it is a requirement to be in the parks to get a boarding group.
Have everyone in your party ready with their apps open.
NOTE: From what everyone is saying, be sure to TURN OFF Wifi, Bluetooth and close all other apps to not slow down your phone. Yes, boarding groups go quick and you want to give it the best chance at getting one. 😉
3. Join a Boarding Group
Now that you have the app, have linked tickets and are in the parks you need to join a boarding group. As we mentioned, boarding groups do not open until the park officially opens. Right when that happens it’s time to let your quick fingers do the rest!
But how do you join a boarding group?
- Open up the app and on the HOME SCREEN, you will see information about Rise of the Resistance.
- Click FOUND OUT MORE.
- Then, click JOIN BOARDING GROUP. If that button is grayed out and you can’t click on it, click MY STATUS to join a group.
- If you don’t get a group, TRY AGAIN!!
- If you did get a group, keep an eye on the MY STATUS to know what time you need to go to the ride. When the green bars are full, it’s time to head to the ride. You will have one hour from that time to go on the ride. Get your code and scan at the entrance to get in line.
- NOTE: You can also go to a few different, physical locations to get a boarding pass. Ask a cast member where they are and you can try to get one there. They will give you a paper that acts as your boarding pass with the time to come back to the ride.
Is it stressful? Yes! Is it worth it? OF COURSE!! Just be sure to have everyone in your party trying so you have a better chance at getting a boarding group.
Rise of the Resistance ride FAQ
This ride is incredible! And of course, everyone is so excited about it and wants to experience it. Will lines and passes and boarding groups change in the future? Most likely, but for now the boarding groups are the best way to allow the most amount of people to enjoy this ride without waiting in a 4 hour line. 😉
I’ve already gotten so many questions about this ride and wanted to answer them all in this post so everyone knew the answers. Here ya go…
Is there a Heigh Requirement? Yes, it is 40 inches (or 102 cm)
How long is the ride? The ride/experience is about 18 minutes long.
Is the line long? That’s what the virtual queue is in place for – so you don’t have to wait in line for long. Having said that, they have added some cool things to the line to make sure it goes by quick and is interactive.
Can you get multiple boarding passes in a day? No. Right now, you can only experience the ride once per day.
Is there a large drop in the ride? Yes, there is, but it’s minimal. Nothing like Tower of Terror or Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout!
How long will the virtual queue be in place? Until further notice. If you’re going in the next few months, be prepared to do the virtual queue.
Do you fee claustrophobic on this ride? For the most part, no. You do ride a simulator standing up for a bit but for the ride portion, you’re in an open cart and most places you go are open.
Would young kids like this ride? Yes! But, some parts be scary. Kylo Ren makes several appearances, Storm troopers chase after you and shoot at you and the cast members who are part of the First Order are in character. They aren’t mean, but they’re not nice.
Can I be in California Adventure and get a boarding group? No. Right now, you have to be physically in Disneyland to get a boarding pass.
Is Rider Switch available for this ride? Yes. Talk to a cast member about getting a pass for it.
Is there Single Rider open for this ride? Not Yet, but I imagine there will be in the future.
Do I get priority if staying on Disney property and get Magic Morning? No. Right now, it’s the same process for EVERYONE visiting the parks.
I hope the information and tips shared today help you in having an amazing experience at Star War’s Galaxy’s Edge. Be sure to check out my guide for Galaxy’s Edge as well as my post about all the best food at Star Wars land.
And most of all, have the best time ever on this incredible, new ride. May the force be with you in obtaining a boarding pass!! ;D