I LOVE Mexican Rice! As previously mentioned, I’m 1/2 Mexican. Contrary to popular belief, it’s true… even if I’m SUPER WHITE!! Although I’m pretty darn white, I can still cook some AMAZING Mexican Food, and that’s because I have wonderful teachers like my MOM and AUNTS. TODAY, I’d like to introduce you to my mudda, Liv (and my dad – hence the whiteness). My mom has been making today’s Spanish Rice recipe for as long as I can remember and first showed me how to make it. Now, we make it on a weekly basis because my kids are obsessed and it’s just so easy. I admit I was intimidated at first to make it, but after the first time it’s become easier and easier!
Ain’t she pretty? She’s gonna KILL me for putting a pic of her on here, but oh well. 😀
This recipe is actually the Spanish Rice (aka Mexican Rice) recipe of a popular Mexican Restaurant in Mesa called Mango’s (down on Main). If you’ve ever been down there and liked their rice, then you’ll love this recipe. It really is simple, delicious and the perfect side to any Mexican dish!
Brown the rice…
Add the broth…
Once all your spices and tomato sauce are added, let it simmer for at least 30 minutes.
It truly is the best side for any Mexican meal!! Below are video and printable instructions to make the Mexican rice.
Spanish Rice Recipe Video:
- 2 cups rice long grain
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 small can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 6 stems cilantro (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 cups water + 1 chicken flavored bouillon cubes (or 4 cups chicken broth)
- dash of cumin
- dash of garlic pepper
- Heat oil in large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add rice and cook until golden brown.
- Add 1 chicken flavored bouillon cube to 4 cups water and microwave for 3 minutes.
- When rice is brown, add water, tomato sauce, salt, garlic, cumin and garlic pepper to pan.
- Stir and cover pan. Let simmer for 30-40 minutes or until all is cooked and there is no liquid left. Fluff before serving and ENJOY.
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may include affiliate links)
This is one of our favorite recipes to enjoy with Mexican rice:
For more Mexican dishes that we love with this rice, check out: