Everyone loves chimichangas! This Baked Chicken Chimichanga recipe is stuffed with rice, chicken, cheese and more. Such a simple dinner recipe that is so delicious and perfect to add to the monthly menu.
I’ve partnered with Knorr® to let you know what I think about Knorr Sides. As always, all opinions are my own.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
What is a Chimichanga?
Our family loves good Mexican food! Being hispanic, Mexican food was something I grew up on. One of our favorite dishes happens to be Chimichangas! What are chimichangas? A Chimichanga is a deep-fried burrito that is popular in Tex-Mex, Southwestern U.S. cuisine, especially here in Arizona. You can find them at most AZ Mexican restaurants and they’re always SO delicious! They’re usually filled with a variety of ingredients but most often include some of these:
- Meat – pork, steak/beef, or chicken
- Beans – pinto, refried or black
- Veggies – tomatoes, green chiles, avocados, onions/green onions
- Sour Cream
Making our own at home saves time, money and gives us the option to make healthier swaps, like baking instead of frying these delicious rice and chicken chimichangas. They’re easy to whip up thanks to Knorr® Rice Sides ™. You need just 8 ingredients and 30 minutes for this flavorful, delicious dish. Simple, right?!
This dish is one our whole family loves. It’s packed full of protein, cheesy goodness and lots of flavor without being overly spicy, which is always a big plus. You customize the flavor to suit your tastes by using your favorite salsa (we use a traditional medium salsa, however, salsa verde would be delicious too)! Our favorite chimis have chicken, but we also love making shredded beef and bean versions as well.
I think you’re going to love this tasty, lighter version of a restaurant classic! We’ll definitely be adding these to our meal rotation- once you try them I think you will too!
How to Make Chimichangas:
This is a very simple baked chimichanga version. Yes, these can be fried, but we prefer this lighter, healthier version. Here are the chimichanga ingredients needed for this particular recipe:
- shredded chicken
- vegetable oil
- Knorr® Fiesta Sides™ – Mexican Rice
As with most of our recipes, you can customize this to your liking. Use a different meat or even change up the ingredients inside, but just follow these easy steps to make a delicious baked chimi version that will sure to be delicious!
- Combine the cooked shredded chicken with salsa, cumin, and oregano; set aside.
- Prepare Knorr® Fiesta Sides™ – Mexican Rice according to package directions (cover and simmer for 7 minutes). Remove from the heat.
- STIR in the chicken mixture and cheese. Divide the mixture between flour tortillas, wrap and place seam-side down on a lined baking sheet. Brush with the remaining oil and place in oven to bake for 20 minutes (or until golden brown and crispy) at 425 degrees. Serve, if desired, with your favorite toppings such as; shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped tomato, chopped cilantro, chopped green onion, chopped lettuce, and lime wedges.
Simple and delicious!!
You really can’t go wrong with homemade chimichangas. One comment I hear often from those that move out of the Southwest, is that it’s hard to find great Mexican food. Fortunately, I have a ton of my favorite homemade Mexican recipes on this site, including these chicken chimis, so I hope it helps out in your quest for delicious Mexican food. 😉
Give this recipe a try and let us know what you think!
Complete the meal by also making:
- Sour Cream Rice
- Homemade Salsa
- Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Homemade Pico de Gallo
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
For more chimichanga and burrito recipes, check out:
- Bean Chimichangas
- Green Chili Smothered Burritos
- BBQ Chicken Burritos
- Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichanga
Chimichanga Recipe Video:
Baked Chicken and Rice Chimichangas Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup chicken cooked and shredded
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil divided
- 1 package Knorr® Fiesta Sides™ - Spanish Rice
- 1 1/4 cup colby jack cheese shredded
- 4 flour tortillas burrito sized
COMBINE the cooked shredded chicken with salsa, cumin, and oregano; set aside.
Prepare Knorr® Fiesta Sides™ - Mexican Rice according to package directions (cover and simmer for 7 minutes). Remove from the heat.
STIR in the chicken mixture and cheese with the rice. Divide the mixture between flour tortillas, wrap and place seam-side down on a lined baking sheet. Brush with the remaining oil and place in oven to bake for 20 minutes (or until golden brown and crispy) at 425 degrees. Serve, if desired, with your favorite toppings such as; shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped tomato, chopped cilantro, chopped green onion, chopped lettuce, and lime wedges.
What will you make with Knorr Rice Sides? Tag your creations with #Knorr – we’d love to see! For more simple & tasty Knorr® inspired recipes hop on over to Allrecipes.com. Also, be sure to follow Knorr® on Pinterest!!
For all Dinner Ideas, CLICK HERE.
For all recipes, CLICK HERE.