This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Cans Get You Cooking, as part of the Mom It Forward Network. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.
Are you a meal planner? I really like to plan ahead with my meals, but I think we all have those days when nothing goes according to plan. The produce in the fridge has spoiled, or plans have changed during the week, and now it’s dinner time and I’m at a loss as to what to feed my family. As tempting as it is to eat out, I’ve found so many delicious family meals just by shopping my own pantry! I always like to keep the pantry stocked with canned vegetables, beans, fruit, and other canned items that make dinner prep simple and easy on those crazy nights. Using my “cantry” saves me money, and makes it so much easier to put dinner on the table!
These Green Chili Smothered Burritos are a perfect example of an easy meal made by shopping my pantry. I used canned chicken, green chilis, corn, beans, and enchilada sauce to make them. With a little cheese and some flour tortillas that I already had on hand, I made a delicious and hearty meal that the whole family loved!
I love using canned vegetables for cooking, because they’re picked at the peak of ripeness and canned within hours, so their freshness is preserved. Studies have shown that canned vegetables and fruits are just as nutritious as fresh vegetables and fruits, but their longer shelf life means that they’re much easier to keep on hand. Using canned fruits and vegetables makes it easier to prepare nutritious meals, and eating canned foods regularly can help you meet your recommended daily allowance of a variety of essential nutrients. Canned foods are a smart way to eat a healthy diet!
These burritos are so easy to make when you use canned foods! I started by adding my chicken breast, beans, corn, green chilis, and a dash of enchilada sauce to a large skillet, then adding some garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin. Once the mixture is heated, stir in some chunks of cheese, then spoon into your flour tortillas and roll up into burritos.
Once the burritos are rolled, spray with cooking spray and bake 10-15 minutes, or until they are starting to get crispy and golden.
Next is the best part: smother the burritos with enchilada sauce and cheese, then return to the oven until melty and gooey. Yum!
My family loves these topped with avocado, canned olives, and cilantro, with a little dollop of sour cream. They’re delicious straight out of the oven too!
- 1 12.5 ounce can chicken breast, drained
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4 ounce can green chilies
- 1 15 ounce can sweet corn, drained
- 1 10 ounce can green enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 ounces cheddar or monterey jack cheese, divided
- 7-8 large flour tortillas, warmed
- cooking spray
- ingredients for topping: sour cream, avocado, olives, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Add the chicken breast, black beans, green chilies, sweet corn, and 2 tablespoons enchilada sauce to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring gently, until heated through. Add the cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder, and mix to combine. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- While the filling mixture is cooling, cut four ounces of the cheese into small chunks. Grate the remaining two ounces of cheese and set aside.
- Stir the cheese chunks into the chicken and bean mixture. Spoon about ¾ cup of the chicken mixture into the center of each tortilla. Fold the sides of the tortilla toward the center and roll up into a burrito. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Place the burritos on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray. Bake 10-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the burritos, dividing evenly, and top with the grated cheese. Return to the oven and bake 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve warm, topped with desired toppings.
And for more great Mexican dishes on the site, check out:
For all Lil’ Luna recipes go HERE.
For all Mexican recipes go HERE.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!