We LOVE Mexican food at my house and although we have it weekly I’ve realized there’s one dish we love that I haven’t tried yet – Chimichangas! I thought I would give it a try and so glad I did because it was a family favorite.
Instead of deep frying I thought it would be good to make these a little healthier by baking them (although I admit you have to flash fry them to help them stay intact). 😉
I was surprised at how easy these Bean Chimichangas were to make!
- 12 tortillas
- 2 egg whites
- 1 can refried beans
- ½ block 16 oz. pkg. Velveeta®
- ½ can RO*TEL® Diced Tomatoes & Chiles
- 2 TB Vegetable Oil
- Monterrey Jack Cheese
- Place beans, RO*TEL®, and VELVEETA® in a pot and heat until cheese is all melted.
- Then warm up your tortillas so they are easier to work with.
- You will then add egg whites to a bowl and mix with whisk. You will add beans to the middle of your tortilla, sprinkle with cheese and then add egg whites all around your beans and fold up. To fold start with one side and fold up an inch and then fold sides and then add more egg white where you make the last fold.
- Flash-fry chimis by placing in a pan of 2 TB Vegetable oil on medium heat. Heat on both sides for a minute or so. Place fried chimis back onto a pan seam-side down.
- After finishing flash-frying your chimis, back at 350 for 12-15 minutes.
Flash fry these little guys before baking. 😀
More than anything I was so glad they were a hit with the fam and were so good, especially served with some salsa and sour cream. 🙂
What’s great about this recipe was these were also great as leftovers the next day, which is always a bonus!
For more yummy Mexican dishes be sure to check out:
For all Lil’ Luna recipes go HERE.
For all Dinner ideas go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Pictures for this recipe were re-taken by Lil’ Luna contributor, Alicia, of The Baker Upstairs.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!