This 7 Layer Bean Dip recipe is a must-have at every function! It has loads of flavor and all your favorite dip ingredients including avocados, olives, tomatoes, cheese, guacamole and more!
7 layer bean dip is our classic go-to for bean dip recipes, but we also love to make Cream Cheese Bean Dip, or Black Bean Dip. We always serve it with our Homemade Tortilla Chips, or Baked Tortilla Chips.
Family-Favorite Layered Bean Dip
Our family loves to get together and eat all foods, but Mexican food is our favorite!
It is one of those appetizers that we always seem to have when we are eating Mexican food… especially for Cinco de Mayo.
This bean dip recipe is simple and easy to put together. We think it’s perfect for all those summer potlucks and family gatherings or for any Mexican meal.
7 delicious layers
Why is it called 7 Layer Bean Dip? Because there are typically 7 layers involved when preparing this Tex-Mex appetizer. The layers can be modified based on your liking, but these are the layers we like to include:
- Refried Beans or Frito’s Bean Dip
- Sour Cream (we mix ours with Taco seasoning for added flavor)
- Salsa or chopped tomatoes (both grape and roma tomatoes work great)
- Shredded cheese – Mexican blend or Monterey Cheese are our favorites
- Black Olives
- Your favorite green veggie – lettuce, green onions, jalapenos, or green chiles – all are delicious!!
As with any of our recipes, they can be customized to your liking. We do beans, guac, sour cream mixed with Taco seasoning, chopped tomatoes, Mexican cheese, olives and green onions.
It’s ALWAYS a hit!!
how to make 7 layer bean dip
Making this layered bean dip is so easy. Once you’ve picked the layers you want to include, prepare each one to go in your dish.
Tip: Layer the dip in a glass bowl, casserole dish, or nice looking serving dish so you can see all the layers!
We start with beans. This can be made with your own version of beans, canned refried beans, or even Frito’s Bean dip.
From there we added guacamole. We like to use our homemade guac, but you can also use store bought guacamole.
The next layer is sour cream (which you can keep on it’s own) or mixed with a package of taco seasoning.
The top layers are all the toppings you love – olives, chopped tomatoes, cheese, cilantro/green onions/chiles/etc. Just sprinkle them all on. It’s really that easy!
Serve it with…
We like to serve it with chips, and there are so many different kinds that work well!
- Our favorite chips are Juanita’s. They’re light, airy and crispy!
- Another favorite we like are Tostino’s Cantina Thin and Crispy chips.
- Frito’s are great too.
- If we have time, we’ll make Homemade Tortilla Chips (fried), or Baked Tortilla Chips.
- You can also spoon this dip onto dishes like Chicken Tacos or Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
Making Ahead and Storing
We recommend refrigerating this bean dip for at least an hour before serving.
If covered with plastic wrap, this dip can be made up to 24 hours in advance. We just recommend waiting to add chopped tomatoes and the greens (cilantro, green onions, etc) until right before serving.
If covered properly, this bean dip can last for up to 48 hours STORED in the refrigerator. The guac makes it harder to last longer, but it’s definitely a dip that can be enjoyed the next day.
FOR MORE mexican DIPS, CHECK OUT:
7 Layer Bean Dip Recipe
- 2-3 cans Frito Lay bean dip
- 4-8 oz Guacamole
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 package taco seasoning
- Top with cheese, olives, tomatoes and green onions
- Layer ingredients one at a time onto a tray as follows… 1st layer – Frito lay bean dip, 2nd layer – Guacamole, 3rd layer – 1 cups each sour cream and mayo mixed with taco seasoning.
- Top with cheese, olives, tomatoes, and green onions.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat.