Sweet Salsa Verde – a delicious salsa recipe that is sweet and spicy and takes just minutes to make. Ingredients include tomatillos, jalapeños, sugar, & cilantro.
aka Green Salsa
I LOVE Salsa!! We have it for so many of our meals and we love the flavor it adds to these dishes. We have our classic Homemade Salsa and Corn Salsa, but were so glad to have come up with a recipe for Salsa Verde.
But, what is salsa verde?
Salsa verde aka Green Salsa is a sweet and spicy salsa made with tomatillos, cilantro, sugar and jalapeños. It is very popular in areas like Arizona and is served at many of its Mexican restaurants.
Not only is this salsa addicting, but it takes just about 2 minutes to throw together. Quick and easy—my kind of recipe!
How to Make Salsa Verde
You can’t beat recipes that take just minutes to make. This green salsa is so easy and requires just 4 INGREDIENTS, including: canned tomatillos, cilantro, sugar and jalapenos.
BLEND! To make this salsa, just combine all of the ingredients in the blender or food processor and pulse until blended well.
You can adjust the sweetness and spicy-ness based on the amount of sugar and jalapeños used.
**Note**: If you are looking for a salsa that is similar but does not have the sweetness, be sure to check out our Tomatillo Salsa. It’s more savory than this recipe, and similar to what is found at grocery for green salsa.
How to use fresh tomatillos and fresh jalapenos: I like to use the canned tomatillos and jalapenos for convenience. If you prefer to use fresher ingredients, you certainly can. Just prep the ingredients and throw them in the blender.
- Tomatillos: you will need about 20. Prep them by removing the papery husk and stem, then rinse in warm water to remove the sticky residue. Cut them in quarters and put in the blender. Raw tomatillos are more tart and acidic. When roasted they take on a more mellow and sweeter taste so adjust the amount of sugar used.
- Jalapenos: You’ll need 1-2 jalapenos. Wear rubber gloves when working with this hot food. Slice the jalapenos in half and remove the seeds and veins. (If you like HOT salsa you can leave the seeds and veins, or use just a few for a medium heat) Slice the jalapenos and add them to the blender.
- To roast: This is not necessary, but some people like to roast them beforehand. Place the tomatillos, jalapeños and 2-3 unpeeled garlic cloves on a baking sheet. Place the rack about 8 inches from the top. Broil for 5-10 minutes or until nicely charred. Discard the garlic and add remaining ingredients to the blender.
TIPS + FAQ
How long does green salsa last? If stored in an air-tight container in the fridge, salsa verde can last for about a week. If properly canned and not opened, this green salsa can last even longer in the fridge.
Can you freeze salsa verde? You can freeze green salsa by placing it in a covered airtight container or in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag. This should keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. For more tips about freezing salsa, CLICK HERE.
What to serve with it? We love serving this salsa verde recipe with chips (tortilla and Frito’s), but also love it with:
Give this salsa a try and we dare you not to love it. The combination of sweet and spicy is quite addicting, and you’ll find yourself pouring it all over your Mexican food. 😉
For more salsa recipes, check out:
Salsa Verde Recipe
Sweet Salsa Verde - a delicious salsa recipe that is sweet and takes just minutes to make. Ingredients include tomatillos, jalapenos, sugar, & cilantro.
- 1 28 oz. can tomatillos (about 20)
- 2-3 tbsp diced jalapenos
- 1 bunch cilantro small
- 1/2 cup sugar (to 2/3 cup)
Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Do not add the juice from your tomatillo can. Add additional jalapenos for more spice or sugar for more sweet.
Enjoy with tortilla chips. This dip is awesome with lime tortilla chips. Yum!
Turn this recipe into a gift just by throwing it in a jar and attaching a printable!!
NOTE: I often store my salsa in mason jars and give it as gifts. Be sure to let those you give it to know that they should NOT put the jar in the pantry unless it has been properly bottled and has a sealed lid.
I made this print for you that is cute and simple! It doesn’t need to be used just for salsa. It can be used for anything!! Attach it to a jar of candy or a box or plate of cookies.
TO SAVE & PRINT MERRY CHRISTMAS TAGS:
To Save, CLICK on the link below of the tag you like. Then, RIGHT-CLICK and SAVE. Open it in a program like WORD, RE-SIZE, PRINT, cut out and attach.
I also made larger tags to use as well:
I attached mine with some glue dots and added some ribbon around the lid. EASY!! Hope you enjoy!