Juicy salsa verde chicken is moist and delicious. It is simple with the perfect level of spice, for a quick and tasty dinner option!
We like to serve our salsa verde chicken on top of white rice but you could also try serving it with Homemade Spanish rice, Cilantro lime rice, or Sour Cream Rice. If you wanted to go a healthier route you could make this tasty cauliflower rice!
Simple Chicken Verde
Chicken verde is so simple and wonderfully delicious. It’s a one pot meal that can be made in 30-35 minutes start to finish.
This chicken is seasoned with a little garlic salt and pepper and cooked in salsa verde. As it cooks, it soaks up all of the yummy flavor of salsa verde. It’s so tasty—my family always craves this dish!
We usually serve this chicken verde over white sticky rice with more of the warm salsa verde on top. You can use store bought salsa verde or you could try making our easy homemade tomatillo salsa! Salsa verde chicken always comes out tender in the middle and never dry. Anyone who tries this recipe will really enjoy it!
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken
SEASON. Season the chicken breasts with garlic salt and pepper and place into a 9×13 baking dish. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil. Pour the salsa verde into the dish and on top of the chicken.
BAKE. Put into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
GARNISH. Once the chicken is fully cooked and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees, take the dish out of the oven. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the chicken and bake on broil for an additional 1-2 minutes. I like the cheese to be a little browned on top.
SERVE. Serve over your favorite rice and make sure to pour a little of the warm salsa verde on top. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve warm.
Tips + SToring Info
It’s possible to make this chicken verde in in the crock pot if you prefer that:
- COMBINE + BAKE. Place the chicken (seasoned with olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper) in the crockpot. Pour the salsa verde on top of the chicken breasts and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- GARNISH. During the last half hour of cooking- sprinkle the cheese on top and cook until the cheese has melted. Serve with toppings and enjoy!
While you can make this recipe in the instant pot it will yield shredded chicken, rather than whole chicken breasts. We don’t recommend it!
Chicken thighs can be used if chicken breasts are unavailable. They will be fattier but will cook better because they will keep their moisture easier.
Use a mild salsa verde to make it more kid friendly. Mild salsa verdes don’t include as much jalapenos.
STORE your leftover chicken verde in the fridge in an airtight container. It will last for 3-4 days in the fridge. To reheat, you can use the oven or microwave. You can also add additional shredded cheese on top before reheating.
For more Mexican recipes, check out:
- Cheesy Rice and Chicken
- Salsa Chicken
- Taco Casserole
- Albondigas Soup
- Enchilada Casserole
- Mexican Chicken
Salsa Verde Chicken Recipe
- 16 oz salsa verde or tomatillo salsa
- 3 chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt (with parsley flakes)
- 1 - 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Pour salsa verde into a baking dish, and add chicken breast to the dish. Bake for about 35 minutes or until internal temp is 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken and add shredded cheese on top. Broil for an additional few minutes.
- Serve over rice making sure to add some of the additional salsa verde as a sauce. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve warm.