Cheesy Chicken and Rice – a DELICIOUS combination of chicken, rice, corn, black beans, green chiles, and cheese! This is a dinner recipe is full of flavor and is so easy to make.
We love trying new recipes and were so excited to try today’s Cheesy Chicken and Rice. The ingredients for this meal are staples in our home, so we were excited to make a few changes and try our own version of the recipe. It kind of reminds me of KFC’s Chicken Mashed Potato Bowl but with a Mexican twist. Yes, we did end up using Rice-a-Roni for added flavor but the combo of so many great ingredients made of think of the KFC bowl.
This version is not only filled with Rice-a-Roni but also with corn, black bean, chicken, cilantro, cheese, green chilis and more. It’s great as is baked to perfection, but just like the KFC bowl with gravy, this dish is even better with a dressing on top. We have several on the site that work great for this recipe, but these ones are our favorites:
If you are more of a salsa person, these salsas would also be great on this dish:
We love the combination of flavors this dish has and hope you guys enjoy it too!
For more chicken and rice recipes, be sure to check out:
Cheesy Rice Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts cubed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 box Rice-a-Roni
- 1 11 oz. can corn
- 1 11 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 4 oz. can green chilis
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 cup shredded cheese Mexican, Monterrey Jack
- Cook chicken in a skillet with 1 tablespoon hot vegetable oil, about 4 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Mix in corn, beans and chilis and spices.
- Mix in chicken with rice and top with cheese. Let melt and top with chopped cilantro and sauce of choice.
- DIFFICULTY: Simple
- HOW MANY DOES IT FEED: 6
- ANY CHANGES MADE: We used rice a roni instead of white rice, used canned corn instead of frozen, no yogurt, used Monterrey jack cheese instead of cheddar.
- ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT TIME: We love the changes we made and will stick with them!
Adapted from Tasty Kitchen.