Everyone loves a good pico de gallo recipe! This versional calls for tomatoes, green chilis, onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt and is SO addicting!
What is Pico de Gallo?
Pico de gallo. Most of you have had this and may not even realize it. You may think it’s salsa, but it’s a salsa fresca that is usually chunkier and contains chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, salt and fresh lime juice.
Other ingredients, like avocados, can be added, but if you’re anywhere in the Southwest you’ve probably had this served to you at a restaurant with your tacos, salad or burritos.
Pico de gallo actually means “beak of rooster” in Spanish. It’s rumored that it received this nickname because it was originally eaten by pinching it between the thumb and finger making a rooster’s beak shape with your hand.
It is also sometimes called salsa bandera, or flag salsa, because it contains the red, white and green colors of the flag of Mexico where it originated.
We’ve made pico for family functions for a long time, but this easy pico de gallo recipe is modified from one of my mom’s friends. Other than the time it takes to chop up veggies, this recipe is very simple and is great for chips or to serve with any Mexican food.
How to Make Pico de Gallo
It can be customized with the ingredients you like, but these are the pico ingredients we use:
- purple onion
- roma tomatoes
- minced garlic
- garlic salt
- lime juice
- avocados (optional)
CHOP & COMBINE. To make the pico, chop up all the ingredients (except the chopped cilantro) and add to a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Right before serving, add cilantro and avocados if desired.
Serving this with warm tortilla chips will be the highlight of any party or get together. It’s just that good and is so addicting!!
- Add jalapeno or serrano peppers for a spicier flavor.
- Add some diced pineapple or strawberries for some sweetness.
- White onion or red onion can be substituted for the purple.
- Plum tomatoes can be substituted for the Roma variety.
- Add some diced red bell pepper for extra crunch.
what to serve with pico de gallo?
The options are endless, but here are some of our favorites…
- Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- Bean Chimichangas
- Avocado Taquitos
- Cream Cheese And Chicken Taquitos
- Indian Fry Bread
- Cheese Quesadilla
It’s best to serve pico de gallo the same day you make it, but if needed it can be STORED in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
It’s not recommended to FREEZE your pico as the texture will change and the tomatoes will become softer and grainer as they thaw.
For more dips perfect for Mexican food, check out:
- Black Bean & Corn Salsa
- Queso Blanco
- Homemade Salsa
- Chili’s Skillet Queso
- Sweet Salsa Verde
- Layered Nacho Dip
Pico de Gallo Recipe
- ¼ – ½ red or purple onion chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon garlic salt with parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Add all ingredients, minus chopped cilantro to a medium bowl and mix to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve and add chopped cilantro right before serving.