Hi Lil Luna readers! It’s Jen here from Yummy Healthy Easy and I’m sharing a crazy delicious recipe today! Raise your hand if you like burritos!
I love them, but sometimes I like to switch things up and try something new. Today we’re ditching the tortilla and putting everything we love about burritos into a yummy chicken burrito bowl! This recipe is so easy and adaptable to what you like.
I think I’m one of the few people in the world that don’t really love chicken. I can’t just pull a chicken breast from the fridge and cook it up and eat it. It needs to have a lot of flavor. (That sounds so foodie of me, lol!) So I marinated the chicken overnight (but even just a few hours would work!) in a garlicky lemon marinade and then I grilled it. You can also pan fry it too but I love the flavor the grill gives the chicken.
To assemble the bowls, I layered brown rice, black beans and lettuce. Then I added spoonfuls of some of my favorites, like corn, avocado, shredded cheese, green onions, cilantro and tomatoes. Then I added the sliced chicken on top of it all and drizzled a super easy ranch taco sauce over the top (but salsa is great too!).
The outcome? A delicious deconstructed burrito bowl that will knock your socks off! This is seriously such an easy recipe and you can change it up by adding in whatever you or your family likes. Another plus side is that you can pack this ahead of time to take to work and eat it later. I hope you like it as much as my family does!
Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe:
Chicken Burrito Bowl
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Burrito Bowl Topping Suggestions
- Cooked brown rice
- Black beans drained and rinsed
- chopped lettuce
- avocado diced
- shredded cheese
- green onions
Rancho Taco Sauce
- 1 tbsp ranch dressing
- 1 tsp taco sauce
Combine marinade ingredients (except chicken) into food processor or blender and blend together until thoroughly mixed.
- Place chicken breasts into a large resealable baggie. Pour marinade over the chicken, seal the bag and let marinate for several hours in the refrigerator.
- Grill chicken until internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Take off grill and let rest.
- Meanwhile, prepare your burrito bowls by layering cooked rice, black beans and lettuce. Add spoonfuls of any toppings desired.
- Slice cooked chicken and top burrito bowl with it.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ranch and taco sauce. Taste and add more of either ranch or taco sauce. (I double this recipe and drizzle it on as I'm eating each layer of the bowl.)
- Drizzle chicken with ranch taco sauce and/or salsa and enjoy!
This looks SO delicious and SO refreshing… I could definitely use a burrito bowl right about now. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with us Jen!! For more amazing recipes from her, head over to Yummy Healthy Easy.
If you liked this yummy chicken dinner, be sure to check out:
For more chicken or salad recipes, check out: