This Delicious Mexican Soup is filled with chicken, corn, tomatoes, cheese, & lots of seasonings! It’s full of Flavor and Made in 20 Minutes!
This flavorful soup is almost like a combination of White Chicken Chili and Chicken Taco Soup. It’s one of our favorite 30 minute meals for a busy night.
Delicious mexican Corn Soup
There are so many varieties of soups—Italian Soups, American Soups, and Mexican Soups! This recipe is Mexican style, with lots of bold spices and flavors. It’s Mexican Chicken Corn Soup.
You wouldn’t think that ingredients as simple as chicken and corn could produce such a delicious final product, but let me tell you, this soup is for sure a keeper.
With chicken, corn, tomatoes, and heavy cream, it’s just creamy and filling enough without being overwhelming.
Best of all, it’s made in less than 30 minutes, which is perfect for busy weeknights when I need to throw dinner together STAT!
How to Make It
As if this recipe couldn’t get any better… It does! Here’s why: it only takes like 25 MINUTES to make! Maybe even less. Seriously!
BOIL. Add butter and garlic to a large pot. Simmer for a few minutes, then add chicken stock, tomatoes, corn and all the spices. Bring to a boil.
SIMMER. Reduce to a low simmer. Add your cooked and cubed chicken, and let it warm up for a few minutes. Stir in your heavy cream until all mixed. Cook for 5 more minutes.
SERVE. Serve into bowls and sprinkle cheese on top. ENJOY!
Other Cooking Methods
Crock pot: Good news fellow cooks, this recipe can also be made in a crock pot. I love crock pot meals so that I can save a little time on a busy day and still be able to serve a warm homemade meal. To make this in the crock pot you’ll want to:
- Brown the butter and garlic and put into the crock pot.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, corn, all spices and chicken cubes.
- Cook on high heat for 2-3 hours or low heat for 4-5 hours. If the chicken is raw you’ll have to increase the cooking time to high heat for 3-4 hours or low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Do not add the heavy cream until there is about 30 minutes left in the cooking time.
Instant pot: If you love using the Instant pot you’ll definitely want to try using it to make this osup. I do only recommend doing so if your chicken is raw or frozen. Otherwise it’s just as easy and quick to make it on the stove top with precooked chicken.
- Saute the garlic using the saute button.
- Then, you’ll just throw in the remaining ingredients, except for the heavy cream, into the pot.
- Cover, press the soup button and set the timer. The times will vary depending on if the chicken is raw or frozen. Refer to your instant pots user manual for times.
- Once it’s done remove the lid and add the cream, stir and serve.
- You can find a great post on how to cook chicken to be used in recipes. Just cube the chicken instead of shred it. You can also use rotisserie chicken
- Add spice: You can increase the amount of cumin, or add chipotle peppers, crushed red peppers, green chiles, or some hot sauce.
- Fresh corn vs. Creamed corn: You can use canned corn or fresh corn! If you want to use canned corn you should drain the excess liquid. Cremated corn is great for thicker soup.
Place leftovers in an airtight container. STORE it in the fridge for 3-4 days or FREEZE for 2-3 months.
If you’re short on time or have a small amount you can REHEAT in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until warm. If you have the time or have a large amount I recommend reheating on the stovetop or in a crock pot stirring occasionally until warm.
For more mexican soup recipes be sure to check out:
- White Chicken Chili
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crockpot Taco Soup
- Fajita Chicken Chili Soup
- Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Caldo De Pollo
Mexican Corn Soup Recipe
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 6 c chicken broth
- 10 oz can tomatoes with green chiles
- 3-4 c frozen corn
- 3-4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 c chicken cooked, chopped
- 3/4 c heavy whipping cream
- colby jack cheese
- Add butter and garlic to a large pot. Simmer for a few minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, corn and all spices. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a low simmer. Add your chicken and let it warm up for a few minutes. Stir in your heavy cream until all mixed. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve into bowls and sprinkle cheese on top. ENJOY!
Recipe adapted from HERE.
A good soup is always one of my go tos. I love the addition of corn in this!
Hearty & filling & so delicious!! Made this a couple weeks ago & my family loved it!
This recipe sounds delish but part of the directions are wrong with the timing of the crockpot
Cook on low heat for 2-3 hours or high heat for 4-5 hours. If the chicken is raw you’ll have to increase the cooking time to low heat for 3-4 hours or high heat for 6-8 hours.
The low/high should be reversed
Thank you for catching that! We’ll work on updating it. Thanks so much!
The soup was easy to make and uses ingredients I keep in hand. It came together quickly and was very good.
Looks delicious How! How big is a serving?
I’d say about 1 cup.
Can you freeze the soup with corn but omit the cream?
I’m sure you could! I haven’t ever tried. You’ll have to let us know how it turns out if you do.
I made this without the cream and cheese-it had the perfect blend of heat,salt and heartiness. Perfect for cool weather dinner and for sharing.
Awesome! I’m glad you enjoyed the soup!!
I loved all the flavors in this delicious soup and my husband loved that it had corn in it! Definitely making this again!
Yay!! It’s a win win when both spouses agree on a dish, right? 🙂 Thanks for giving the recipe a try. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
See More Comments