A warm tasty soup full of chicken, beans, corn, spices, and of course – tortilla strips on top! You’re going to love this hearty, delicious Chicken Taco soup that can be enjoyed all year long – especially in the fall!
Another version of a long time favorite
I love all of the color in this yummy and easy chicken taco soup – oh yeah, AND all of the flavors! So many flavors combine together to make the most delicious chicken taco soup.
We have our classic Taco Soup we’ve used for years, but it’s more of a “dump and go” soup made entirely from canned ingredients. You could add chicken to that soup, but I loved that this version was a bit different and another great taco soup to make.
With the spices, the beans, the corn, the shredded chicken, and the tortilla strips, the soup really has it all!
Easy as 1-2-3
Can we talk about how EASY this taco chicken soup is to make? It’s all made in the slow cooker! There are literally 3 steps.
- Cook and shred your chicken (for all the tips and tricks on making shredded chicken, go HERE).
- Put the onion powder, beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, and shredded chicken in the slow cooker. Mix it all together to combine.
- Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for 4 hours.
NOTE: Have you ever shredded chicken in a stand mixer? It’s a game changer! Try it next time you need to shred a bunch of chicken breasts. Just throw them into the bowl, turn your mixer with the paddle attachment on low, and it shreds it perfectly in about 10 seconds.
Alternate Cooking Methods
Slow cooker on high. If you need the soup done faster you can also cook it in the slow cooker on HIGH for 1-2 hours.
Stovetop. If you need it even faster you can also cook it on the stove for 30 minutes in a big pot. Just heat it until it’s all warmed through and ready to eat.
A crowd pleaser
You’re going to love this soup – I promise. You know who else is going to love it? Whoever you make it for!
We love to make this soup when we have friends or family coming over for dinner. It makes a lot of soup and you can always double the recipe if you need to make more servings.
It’s great to serve for a crowd because everyone can just ladle themselves a bowl of it and top it with whatever taco toppings they’d like. We like to top it with: sour cream, tortilla strips, cilantro, cheeses, etc.
This soup is also awesome the next day. Tastes just as great as leftovers! Place leftovers in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for 3-4 days or freeze for 2-3 months.
If you’re short on time or have a small amount you can reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until warm. If you have the time or have a large amount, you can also reheat on the stovetop or in a crock pot stirring occasionally until warm.
Make it into a freezer meal
Taco soup makes a great freezer meal. Mix all ingredients, except for the cheese and sour cream, pour in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
To cook, remove from freezer and throw it straight in the crockpot for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low or until hot and the flavors have blended. You can also thaw the soup overnight and heat according to the recipe directions.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do. 😀
For more chicken soups, check out:
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 can chili beans 16oz
- 1 can black beans 15oz
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained 15oz
- 1 can tomato sauce 8oz
- 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies 10oz
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 8oz cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream optional
- Mix onion powder, beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning,and shredded chicken in a slow cooker on low heat. Cover, and cook for 4 hours (or high for 1-2 hours).
- Serve warm. Additional toppings may included Cheddar cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
- *Can also be cooked over the stove in a stock pot. Heat for 30 minutes until all ingredients are hot and well blended.
Adapted from allrecipes.com