Perfectly spiced Chicken Taco Soup can be enjoyed all year long. It’s hearty, delicious, and packed with flavor!
Chicken Taco Soup is really similar to our creamy Crockpot Taco Soup, and we love it as much as our classic Taco Soup Recipe which is filled with ground beef. We love a good soup any time of the year!
Another version of a long time favorite
I love all of the color in this yummy and easy chicken taco soup – oh yeah, AND all of the flavors! So many flavors combine together to make the most delicious Chicken Taco Soup.
We have our classic Taco Soup, but it’s more of a “dump and go” soup made entirely from canned ingredients. You could add chicken to that soup, but I loved that this version was a bit different and another great taco soup to make.
Easy as 1-2-3
Can we talk about how EASY this taco chicken soup is to make? It’s all made in the slow cooker! There are literally 3 steps.
CHICKEN. Cook and shred your chicken (for all the tips and tricks on making shredded chicken, go HERE).
COMBINE. Put the onion powder, beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, and shredded chicken in the slow cooker. Mix it all together to combine.
COOK. Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for 4 hours.
Note. Shred chicken in a stand mixer. Throw it into the bowl, turn your mixer with the paddle attachment on low, and it shreds it perfectly in about 10 seconds.
- sour cream
- tortilla strips
- squirt of lime juice
Alternate Cooking Methods
Slow cooker on high. If you need the soup done faster you can also cook it in the slow cooker on HIGH for 1-2 hours.
Stovetop. If you need it even faster you can also cook it on the stove for 30 minutes in a big pot. Just heat it until it’s all warmed through and ready to eat.
Adjust the texture.
- To thin the soup out simply add more water or broth.
- To thicken, you can add some tomato paste, smash some of the beans and stir, or add a cornstarch slurry. In a separate bowl mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water. Once smooth, stir it into the soup. Allow the soup to simmer for a few minutes. Repeat if needed.
Adjust the Heat. In my opinion this taco soup isn’t too spicy. You can adjust the amount of spice by choosing a mild taco seasoning mix or a spicy one if that’s your goal. You can increase or decrease the amount of chili powder.
- For added spice you can include jalapenos, hot sauce or red chili flakes.
- If you find the soup too spicy you can add brown sugar or honey, add dairy (cheese, milk, sour cream) or even a starch like rice directly to the soup. Serve the soup with a side of rice, tortillas, or corn bread.
Chicken. Buy a rotisserie chicken to shred, use canned chicken, or make Shredded Chicken in the Slow Cooker the day before.
What goes well with taco soup? Taco soup tastes great served out of a Bread Bowl or alongside Jalapeno Cornbread, with Flour Tortillas or a bowl of Tortilla Chips. Serve it with a salad or Side of Spanish Rice.
STORE. Place leftovers in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or freeze for 2-3 months.
Reheat. If you’re short on time or have a small amount you can reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until warm. If you have the time or have a large amount, you can also reheat on the stovetop or in a crock pot stirring occasionally until warm.
Make a freezer meal. Mix all ingredients, except for the cheese and sour cream, pour in an airtight container and freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months.
To cook, remove from freezer and throw it straight in the crockpot for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low or until hot and the flavors have blended. You can also thaw the soup overnight and heat according to the recipe directions.
For more chicken soups, check out:
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 can chili beans 16oz
- 1 can black beans 15oz
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained 15oz
- 1 can tomato sauce 8oz
- 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies 10oz
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 8oz cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream optional
- Mix onion powder, beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth, diced tomatoes, taco seasoning,and shredded chicken in a slow cooker on low heat. Cover, and cook for 4 hours (or high for 1-2 hours).
- Serve warm. Additional toppings may included Cheddar cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
- *Can also be cooked over the stove in a stock pot. Heat for 30 minutes until all ingredients are hot and well blended.
Adapted from allrecipes.com