The ultimate comfort food right here! This creamy, delicious Chicken Pot Pie Soup has all your favorite vegetables, big chunks of chicken, and even seasoned pie crust crumbled on top. It’s the perfect bowl of soup to warm your tummy and soul!
As soon as the first cool, crisp days of fall set in, I’m all about making a really fantastic pot of soup. Soup is perfect to make any night of the week, and you’ll often find a big pot simmering away, especially on nights where we have baseball or football practice. Coming home to a crock-pot filled with a hearty soup along with the delicious savory aromas is my idea of the perfect meal!
This Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe is fantastic, as you can prepare it either directly on the stove top or in a slow cooker. I’m made it both ways, and either method turns out wonderfully! I enjoy using my slow cooker for soups and stews as you can do quite a bit of the prep work in advance, and let the veggies cook while you’re out and about. Once you’re ready to eat, you can simply add the last few ingredients, and dinner is set!
To achieve that really wonderful chicken pot pie texture, I baked a simple store-bought pie crust on a cookie. I then crumbled the crust over the top of the bowls of hot soup. In my opinion, the crust takes the soup from great to amazing!!
Everyone in your family will be licking their bowls clean and coming back for seconds! This soup has a wonderful creamy texture, hearty flavors and are perfect to warm your belly on a cold fall or winter evening!
Here’s the recipe for this delicious soup:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (about 1 cup), diced
- 1 c. carrots, diced
- 1 c. celery (about 3 stalks), diced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen peas
- 3 c. cooked chicken, chopped (rotisserie chicken works well)
- 1 (3 lb) can/carton chicken broth
- 5 chicken bullion cubes
- 1½ tsp herbs de Provence
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 c. half and half
- 3 Tbsp. corn starch
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and saute for 7-10 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes, peas, chicken and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the chicken bullion cubes, herbs de Provence, pepper and salt. Reduce heat, cover the pot and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Roll out the prepared pie crust and bake for about 5-10 minutes or until golden brown. Take out and let cool. When cool break the crust into pieces.
- In the last 5 minutes of the soup cooking, whisk the corn starch into the half and half. Pour into the soup and stir. Let simmer for the remaining 5 minutes.
- Soup is done when potatoes and vegetables are cooked through. Ladle into bowls and top with the pie crust. Enjoy!
As you can see, this soup comes together quickly and easily. It’s the perfect meal for those cold fall and winter nights to come! Enjoy! ~Erin
If you love this Chicken Pot Pie Soup recipe, you’ll love some of Erin’s other soup recipes at Delightful E Made:
This soup looks like the ultimate comfort food. Definitely a recipe perfect for chilly fall days.
Thanks, Erin, for sharing this recipe!! I just might have to try it in the near future.
For more awesome recipes from Erin, head on over to Delightful E Made!
For some more soup recipes, check out these posts here at Lil’ Luna:
For soup recipes, go HERE.
For all recipes, go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!