There’s a valid reason they say chicken soup is good for the soul! We have a handful of chicken soup recipes (stovetop & slow cooker) that we love, and they have all been compiled into this collection!
Whether you’re in a hurry and need a quick dinner ready in 30 minutes, or you need to throw everything in a slow cooker so it’s ready in a few hours, we have all the chicken soup recipes you could dream of!
Chicken soup is good for the soul
Cream based, broth base, vegetables, pasta, or rice—no matter the ingredients, soup is definitely an easy go to meal especially on a chilly winter day. Doesn’t it warm you up just thinking about it? There’s a reason chicken soup is always the first thing people think of to cure a cold!
There are several Chicken soup recipes here at Lil Luna that we love, but before I get to sharing them I wanted to share a few soup tips for you all:
Many of the soup recipes call for precooked chicken. I have a great recipe that can be found HERE. You can also use canned chicken or a rotisserie chicken.
Serving Sizes: If you are planning to serve the soup as a meal, plan for 1 1/2 cup per person. When serving soup as an appetizer, you should plan 1 cup per person.
- Ignite the flavors of onions, garlic and celery by sautéing them with a bit of oil and butter before adding to the soup.
- Be mindful that different veggies cook at different rates. Add thicker vegetables, like carrots and potatoes, first and wait to add smaller veggies, like peas, until later in the cook time.
- Make sure when chopping that you make all the ingredients spoon/bite sized.
- Avid adding cold cream to hot soup as it may curdle. Warm the cream first before adding it to the the soup.
Chicken Soup Troubleshooting
One of the most common questions when it comes to soup is how to thicken it up, or thin it out. Both are actually quite easy:
How to thin out soup is the easier of the two- simply add a little more liquid like water or broth until you get your desired texture.
There are a few ways to thicken your soup:
- Add more cream
- Add more cheese
- Make a roux with flour: In a separate bowl add 1-2 tablespoons of soup and and equal amount of flour. Stir and then add back to the soup. repeat if necessary
- Add cornstarch: In a separate bowl add 1 tablespoon cold water and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Mix until smooth and then add to the soup. Repeat if necessary.
Salty soup… Add the amount of salt a recipe calls for. At first the soup may not taste salty enough, but some of the liquid will evaporate while simmering and the flavors will become more pronounced. Taste the soup as it finished. If it needs more salt, then go ahead and add a bit more.
If you find your soup is too salty you can always add a bit more liquid such as water or broth. You can also add potatoes, rice or pasta which will help absorb the salt.
Stovetop Chicken Soups
These soups are all relatively quick since they are made on the stovetop. Some of them do require a few more ingredients or simmer time than the “30 minute” soups. Some are cream based, some have a broth base, but all are delicious!
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – A classic chicken soup recipe, and the perfect remedy for cold days. Filled with egg noodles, chicken, celery, and carrots.
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup – Chicken, orzo pasta, and chunky veggies in a chicken broth with a hint of lemon.
- Italian Chicken and Vegetable Soup – A tomato and chicken broth based soup with chicken, zucchini, and carrots.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – Creamy and delicious Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup that is filled with chunks of veggies and chicken.
- Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup – Filled with chicken, tomatoes, cheese and red enchilada sauce—this copycat soup is so flavorful and delicious!
- Cheesy Chicken Alfredo Soup – Your favorite pasta dish in soup form! A cream based soup with tortellini and chicken.
Ready in 30 minutes or less
All of these soups are made on the stovetop, but they can be ready in 30 minutes or less! I rely heavily on recipes like this during the busiest times of year.
- Buffalo Chicken Soup – A creamy and cheesy soup with a bit of a kick—filled with chicken and celery chunks.
- Chicken and Rice Soup – Filled with rice, chicken chunks, carrots, broccoli, cream cheese, spices, and more, this chicken rice soup is so hearty and creamy.
- Chicken and Dumpling Soup – This simple, delicious soup is filled with chunks of chicken and pieces of biscuit, along with your favorite veggies!
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup – This hearty soup is filled with long grain and wild rice, chicken, carrots, almonds and more!
- Cheesy Chicken Parmesan Soup – One of your favorite Italian dishes turned into a delicious soup! This creamy tomato-base soup filled with chicken, penne pasta, and of course cheese.
- White Chicken Chili – An absolute crowd favorite! A creamy, yet light, soup filled with chicken, beans, and cheese.
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup – Hearty and flavorful soup that includes chicken, carrots, spinach, broccoli and gnocchi!
- Chicken Tortellini Soup – A delicious twist on classic chicken noodle soup, this Chicken Tortellini Soup recipe includes cheese filled tortellini, chicken, carrots, and zucchini!
Slow Cooker Chicken Soups
These might not be quick, but they sure are convenient when you need to prep a yummy dinner in advance. Most all of these call for precooked chicken, as I mentioned earlier, so you just have to dump the remaining ingredients and go!
- Chicken Florentine Soup – With a combination of chicken, potato, white beans, carrots, spinach and more, this chicken florentine soup is hearty and absolutely delicious.
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup – This soup is packed with flavorful ingredients including chicken, tomatoes, corn, beans, green chilis, & lots of seasonings!
- Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup – A lighter version of chicken tortilla soup with all the same delicious flavors.
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup – Creamy soup packed with chicken, green chiles, corn, rice, and mixed with lots of spices and cheeses.
- Easy Chicken Taco Soup – A warm tasty soup full of chicken, beans, corn, spices, and of course – tortilla strips on top!
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup -This soup has all your favorite pot pie ingredients: vegetables, big chunks of chicken, and even a seasoned pie crust crumbled on top!