Perfectly spiced Green Chili Chicken Soup is like an enchilada in soup form! It’s hearty, delicious, and is always a crowd pleaser.
Mexican Cornbread or Sour Cream Cornbread make perfect accompaniments for this mild yet flavorful soup! If you like the flavors of this soup, you’ll also love Green Chili Chicken and Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas.
Chili verde = green chili
Some people are normal and only eat soup in the winter when the weather is cold. Well, I’m sure you’ve figured out by now that we’re not normal! We LOVE soup all year long.
We have a few staple soups that are always good to make. And we also like to try new soup recipes. Today, I’m excited to share with you a new recipe we tried for Green Chili Soup (aka Chili Verde Soup) that is similar to our Chicken Enchilada Soup and SO delicious!
This recipe is so flavorful and is filled with some of our favorite ingredients – corn, chicken, and green chilis.
The combination of these foods is fantastic and made for such a great soup, especially with all the toppings (think cheese, sour cream, avocados, cilantro…)
How to make Green Chili Soup
COOK. Place chicken broth, enchilada sauce, green chilis, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and shredded chicken in crock pot on HIGH. Stir together and cook for 3-4 hours.
GARNISH. Add salt and pepper to taste and top with Monterrey Jack Cheese, sour cream and sliced avocados.
Other Topping Ideas:
- Fresh cilantro
- Crushed tortilla chips or strips
- Cream cheese
- Sprinkle of ground cumin
The great thing about this soup is it’s FANTASTIC just how it is! Plus, it can be personalized and added to with your own personal favorite ingredients. Play around and let us know what worked for you.
Alternate Cooking Methods
Make this soup in an instant pot: Put everything in the instant pot except the toppings, you can sear the chicken beforehand if you want to. Then turn it on high pressure for 15 minutes, let it naturally release pressure for 5 minutes.
Make on the stovetop: Add all ingredients (except cooked chicken) to a large pot and bring to a light boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the cooked chicken and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips + FAQ
- Hominy is made from kernels of corn. The process included soaking the corn in an alkaline solution which causes the grain to double in size. Hominy is commonly used in grits, corn tortillas, soups, stews, and casseroles.
- Chicken stock has a richer flavor than chicken broth because the stock is made from boiling down the bones. Chicken broth is made from the meat of the chicken. If you only have broth that is totally fine!
- To increase the spice level, use some of the following ideas. You can either add them directly to the soup or have them on the side for those daring individuals to use. Try adding chopped green chilies, such as jalapenos, red chili flakes, tabasco, sriracha, or cayenne.
Can you make this ahead of time? Yes! Cook the chicken and place it along with the other soup ingredients in an airtight, freezer safe, if applicable, container. Store in the fridge for 1-2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If the soup was frozen, allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge. Cook according to the recipe directions.
How to store? Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. FREEZE in a Ziploc or airtight container for 3-4 weeks.
For more chili & Soup recipes, check out:
- White Chicken Chili
- Crock Pot Green Chili Enchilada Soup
- Green Enchilada Pork Chili
- Taco soup
- Healthy chicken tortilla soup
- Mexican beef stew
Green Chili Chicken Soup Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 28 oz can mild green enchilada sauce
- 2 4 oz cans diced green chiles
- 2/3 c water
- 1 1/2 TB cumin
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2/3 c corn (if frozen, thaw out)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toppings: Monterrey jack cheese, avocado, sour cream
- Place chicken broth, enchilada sauce, green chiles, water, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and shredded chicken in crock pot on HIGH. Cook for 3-4 hours
- Add salt and pepper to taste and top with Monterrey Jack Cheese, sour cream and sliced avocados.
Corn AND hominy….brilliant!
This is a perfect Fall dinner!!
Ohhh…soup weather! I’m so ready for fall with the chill in the air and delicious things like this soup!
I’m right there with you, Tonia!! Fortunately, it will be here before you know it. 😉
It says add marinated chicken but I didn’t see what you marinated with?
I updated the recipe… we usually marinate ours in Italian Dressing for at least half a day. 😉
Love it Kristyn – thank you.
You’re welcome, Liz!! Have a great day!
I love tortilla soup so I know I’m going to fall in love with this one too! Yeah for tex mex soups! 🙂
You’ll love this recipe!! Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
I love soups year-round too, which is strange because it’s so hot in Houston. This chili verde soup sounds like a great recipe to try – so many great flavors!
I know! It’s so hot but I still crave soups – mostly because they are just SO good! ;D
Same here! I love soup any time of the year! This one looks great. I can’t wait to try.
Thank you for sharing, Kristyn. 🙂
I can wait to start making soups. This only looks very hearty and flavorful for sure!
Yum!! It’s like eating a green chili enchilada in soup form, which is ok with me!! It is loaded with flavor & so hearty!
We love soup all year round. Quick and easy is the name of this yummy soup!
A welcome cold front came through AZ this weeks and I got to make new soups. This recipe is easy to follow and delicious.
This is the ultimate comfort food! So much flavor packed in one yummy soup!
Such a warm and comforting soup anytime of the year
I added 3 teaspoons of kohr chicken powder and 1 tablespoon chili powder instead of 3 tablespoons. Perfection!
This looks amazing! I’m sure I’m just missing it but how long do you cook it once you add the rice and corn? How much rice do you add?
In the video for the Green Chili Chicken Soup, rice is added with the corn but isn’t in the ingredient list or the information.
In the video for the Green Chili Chicken Soup, rice is added with the corn but isn’t in the ingredient list or the information neither is the cream cheese.