This Mexican Beef Stew is a twist on a classic. It’s hearty, comforting, filled with vegetables, and tender beef.
beef stew the mexican way
Mexican Beef Stew couldn’t be easier to make!
If you can cut some vegetables into chunks and open a few cans, you can make this meal. I love meals like this that don’t require you to think too much, lol! Especially for those super busy nights when everything is going on.
This Mexican Beef Stew uses similar ingredients found in regular beef stew only with a new twist. I left out the celery because it didn’t quite please our tastebuds, and added a can of beans and taco seasoning. Oh, and I used Rotel instead of regular diced tomatoes.
Mexican Stew Ingredients
Most of the ingredients for Mexican beef stew are exactly the same as a classic recipe, with a few exceptions.
- Beef: I like to use a chuck roast and cut into bite-sized pieces but stew meat is also a great option.
- Rotel or Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- Beef Broth: Use lower sodium so you can control the amount of salt.
- Black Beans
- Quick Cooking Tapioca: This is what thickens the stew as it cooks. Don’t worry, it dissolves as it cooks and you won’t even know it’s there.
- Taco Seasoning
stew Tips and Substitutions:
- This recipe doesn’t require you to sear the beef, but if you are wanting to add a little extra flavor you can. I do this if I’m not in a hurry.
- You can use other beans if you prefer.
- Try not to cut the vegetables in too small of chunks or they may get too mushy. I don’t recommend using baby carrots in this recipe.
- This recipe can also be made in the slow cooker. Just place ingredients in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker and cook on LOW 7-8 hours. I don’t recommend cooking on high. Low and slow is best for tougher cuts of beef so it’s nice and tender.
Freezer Friendly! Place completely cooled Mexican beef stew in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 4-6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat as needed. I like to reheat on the stovetop.
What to serve with Mexican Beef Stew?
For more mexican-style soups, try:
- Taco Soup
- Mexican Chicken and Corn Soup
- Tortilla Soup
- White Chicken Chili
- Mexican Soup
- Caldo De Pollo
Mexican Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds stew meat (or cut a chuck roast into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 small onion, large dice
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 pound potatoes, washed and peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 (10oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca
- 1 package taco seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 275°F.
- Place all the ingredients in a large oven-safe pot and mix to combine. Place lid on top and bake for 4 hours.
- Remove pot from oven and serve.