Filling and Flavorful Mexican soup is packed with chicken, beans, and veggies with just a little bit of heat!!
We sure hope you love this quick, easy and tasty Mexican soup, serve it up with a side of Homemade Tortillas, Buttery Cornbread, or Mexican Cornbread. It’s so full of flavor and is sure to become a family favorite in no time. 😉
Mexican Chicken Soup
Give me all the soup recipes! I just can’t get enough. Soups are easy, filling, and there is always leftovers or enough to feed a bunch of friends or family. This Mexican chicken soup is no different. It’s filled with your favorite Mexican ingredients, including beans, green chiles, corn, peppers, tomatoes and more (yes, it’s a lot like our Chicken Tortilla Soup)!
Let’s be honest, I’m a BUSY mom. No matter where we are in life, we are all busy! That’s why I love a good, simple and quick soup recipe. Throw all ingredients in, stir, cook for bit, and dinner (and lunch and dinner for the next day!) is served.
You’re going to love the taste of this Mexican chicken soup. The beans are cooked to perfection and they go so well with the shredded chicken. I will never tire of this delicious soup.
Making Simple Mexican Soup
COMBINE. In a large stock pot, mix cooked shredded chicken, kidney beans, corn, tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, green chiles, broth, onion powder, salt, cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
SIMMER. Cook over medium heat and let simmer 45 minutes.
SERVE. If you want this Mexican soup to be a little bit on the smooth and creamy side, just add ½ cup whipping cream at the end and let cook for an additional few minutes.
Tips, variations + Storing Info
- sliced lime
- strips of tortilla chips
- sliced avocado
- sour cream
- grated Cheddar cheese
- tortilla chips
Make in the crock pot. Combine all ingredients. Let it cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Set it and go about your day! Dinner will be ready and waiting for you.
Rice: If you want to add in rice to make this dish heartier make sure you also have enough liquid in the soup. There needs to be 2.5 parts water to 1 part rice in order for there to be sufficient water/chicken broth to cook the rice. It will also add onto your cook time by 20-40 minutes, depending on the amount of rice you add in. You could also add in cooked rice, this won’t take any extra liquid.
Turn up the heat: If your family loves spicy soup you can add diced jalapeno, chili powder or add in some red pepper flakes. You can also have these items on the side so that people can make their own bowls as hot as they wish.
Vegetarian: Make this vegetarian by leaving out the shredded chicken and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Make it even more flavorful: I love the soup as is, but if cooking in the kitchen tends to bring your artistic side here are some ideas on how to add even more flavor:
- Roast your corn in a pan with some oil and salt. It will add that wonderful charred flavor to your soup.
- Grill your chicken breasts and then slice them thinly.
- Top with chopped cilantro
- Feel free to add other ingredients that you’d think would be yummy:
- other types of beans
- other veggies you have in your kitchen
- other spices like a little bit of chili powder for more heat!
STORE in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
FREEZE it in an airtight freezer safe container or bag for 4-6 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight before rewarming it on the stovetop.
For more soup recipes, be sure to check out:
- Mexican Chicken and Corn Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Copycat Chili’s Enchilada Soup
- Taco Soup
Mexican Soup Recipe
- 3 boneless chicken breast halves cooked and shredded
- 1 (15oz) can kidney beans
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 (14.5oz)can stewed tomatoes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 (4oz) can green chilis chopped
- 2 (14.5oz) cans chicken broth
- 1 TB ground cumin
- garlic salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, mix cooked chicken, kidney beans, corn, tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, green chiles, broth, onion powder, salt, cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat and let simmer 45 minutes.
really nice set of ingredients here, love all of these and healthy ingredients too, thank you for this recipe!
You are so welcome!! Thank you!
So easy and so delicious with just the right amount of heat!
That’s why I love it!! Thanks so much!
I always love finding a new soup recipe! This one is a keeper! Yum!!
So vibrant and comforting ! Thank you !
Thank you so much!!