This quick, simple and delicious Sopa (soup) de Fideo is a family favorite. It’s also cheesy and flavorful! Just 5 Ingredients and you’ll have dinner in no time.
What is Fideo?
Fideo is a thin Mexican noodle. It is similar to angel hair or thin spaghetti. In fact, if you can’t find “fideo”, you can use the alternate noodles. Just break the pasta into 1” pieces and cook as directed.
The best part of fideo? You can usually find a bag for about a quarter at most grocery stores. Score!
Ever since we were little, my mom has made for us the best sopa (aka soup) using fideo. This sopa de fideo has become a classic dinner in our home and one that the whole family loves.
It’s not only delicious, but requires just a few ingredients too. And with the noodles being so inexpensive, it’s also a great meal when you’re trying to pinch pennies or use some pantry staples.
How to Make Sopa de Fideo
It’s so simple! Begin by adding oil to a medium pot and cook on LOW-MEDIUM heat. Add fideo and cook until noodles are coated in oil and have started to brown.
Add tomato sauce and broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce to LOW and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until noodles are soft.
Add cheese, salt and pepper and stir until combined. Serve warm.
Like we said – so simple. So inexpensive. We promise this sopa will become a family favorite. And be sure to look at our notes below on how you can change this up according to your likings. 😉
Changing Up, Storing + what to serve with
Additions: Traditionally this is a very simple soup. It’s easy to make and uses a few very common ingredients, but like most soups it is quite easy to adjust. Here are a few ideas:
- You can also use vegetable broth if you want a vegetarian soup.
- Add shredded chicken for a heartier soup
- Make it a richer flavor by pureeing roasted tomatoes in lieu of tomato sauce.
- Add veggies like peas and carrots
- Top with chopped avocado, lime juice, and fresh cilantro
Leftover Soup can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also put it in the freezer for 3-4 months. Keep in mind that the texture of the noodles will change, but the soup will still be delicious.
Serve with: This soup is often served at lunch or dinner. It can be served as a side dish or with warm corn tortillas as a simple main dish. Some other yummy food to serve with this soup include:
- Baked Taquitos
- Mini Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Beef Flauta
- Black Bean and Corn Quesadilla
More Mexican Soups:
Sopa de Fideo Recipe
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 (7oz) bag fideo pasta
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 12 oz chicken broth
- ½-1 c Mexican cheese shredded
- garlic salt
- Add oil to a medium pot and cook on LOW-MEDIUM heat. Add fideo and cook until noodles are coated in oil and have started to brown.
- Add tomato sauce and broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce to LOW and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until noodles are soft.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper and stir until combined. Serve warm.