A simple, convenient, and TASTY stew recipe made in the crock pot! Made with chicken, potatoes, carrots, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, ranch dressing mix and more, this creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Stew recipe is BURSTING with flavor!!
There’s nothing better than a crock pot recipe on a busy day. During the fall and winter, I make a lot of crock pot soups, and this is one of my favorites. I also love Chicken Florentine, Taco Soup, and Baked Potato Soup, all made in the slow cooker!
simple, convenient, and tasty!
I know we’ve shared several soup recipes over the last few weeks, but we had too many good ones not to share. Today’s recipe for Crock Pot Chicken Stew is another winner recipe. Everyone loved it, but the adults especially enjoyed this hearty and delicious recipe.
It is super creamy and bursting with flavor! Best part is, it’s all made in a crock pot. Simple, convenient and TASTY – can’t beat that! If you’re looking for an easy and delicious soup recipe, we highly recommend this one. It’s great for dinner or your upcoming Soup Potluck!
let the crockpot do the work
This recipe is so simple, because all you have to do is throw the ingredients in and let the crock pot do all the work! Here is the step-by-step break down:
Vegetables. Turn your crockpot on and place the butter inside, letting it melt. Stir in all of the vegetables, coating them with butter.
Chicken. Season the (cooked and diced) chicken as desired and add it to the crockpot.
Slow Cook. In a separate bowl, mix together the soup, milk, sour cream, chicken broth, and ranch dressing mix. Pour this mixture on top of the chicken in the crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 4-6.
Serve. Sprinkle with parsley and serve!
This stew can just as easily be made on the stovetop. Just melt the butter in a large pot and stir in the veggies coating them with butter. Add the chicken too. Mix the soup, milk, sour cream, broth and ranch dressing mix in a bowl and then add it to the pot. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 45 minutes.
Tips and FAQ
Can this recipe be doubled? This stew recipe can definitely be doubled if making for a larger crowd. Just double each ingredient and be sure to use a large crock pot that can hold it.
What potatoes work best in stew: Stay away from russet potatoes which are higher in starch and can take on a grainy texture. Stick with red potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, fingerling potatoes, or long white potatoes.
What other vegetables can be put in this stew?
How to thicken chicken stew? The thickness of a stew is really a personal preference. Here are a few ways to thicken your soup to get it to your favorite texture:
- Mash up a few of the potatoes that are already in the stew, and stir.
- Add cornstarch: in a separate bowl add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to 1 tablespoon cold water. Whisk and then stir into the stew.
- Add flour: In a separate bowl, mix 1 Tablespoon of flour and ½ c of broth. Slowly add to the stew.
- Add instant potatoes: Add 1 Tablespoon at a time stir and allow it to absorb into the stew before adding another tablespoon.
Nothing better than a bowl of warm soup during the fall or winter!! And with a recipe as easy as this one, you’ll be sure to make it over and over again. 😉
Freezes really well!
How to freeze chicken stew? If you plan to freeze this soup be sure to undercook the vegetables. Allow the soup to completely cool. Place in a freezer safe container leaving 1 inch head space. Store for 4-6 months. Thaw in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave for smaller portions or on the stove top for larger portions.
- Freeze in individual sized portions.
- Leave out any thickening agents such as flour or cornstarch. If you thaw frozen soup in the fridge, then it can stay in the fridge for 3-4 days before reheating.
- You can eat half now and freeze the other half for later. Halfway during the cooking process place half of the soup in a freezer safe container (remember you want to freeze undercooked vegetables) Allow the soup to cool, cover and place in the freezer.
For more crockpot soups, check out:
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Crock Pot Green Chili Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Creamy Chicken Stew Recipe
- 2 boneless chicken breasts cooked, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 TB butter
- 4 small red potatoes quartered
- 1 c baby carrots halved
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 c chicken broth
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 oz packet dry ranch dressing mix or 3 TB
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Parsley flakes
- Add butter to the bottom of a crock pot. Let melt. Stir in all of the vegetables coating with the butter. Season diced chicken as desired and add to the crock pot.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the soup, milk, sour cream, chicken broth, and ranch dressing mix. Pour on top of the chicken. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 4-6.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve!
Adapted from thecozycook.com