The BEST Homemade French Bread recipe – so soft and tasty!! Serve with butter or turn it into a delicious appetizer. Everyone loves this bread recipe!
I love making a loaf or two of french bread because it not only makes the perfect side for a pasta dish, but you can use it to make french toast, bruschetta, and even croutons! Definitely a favorite bread recipe.
the best homemade french bread!
We’ve always loved french bread and were so excited when my mom mastered it. We know homemade bread can’t be beat, and to have this homemade french bread recipe to add to our bread recipes is just what we needed.
If you’ve ever made French bread, then you’d know it’s ten times better than anything bought at the store. It’s great to have on it’s own with butter or jam or even as a side with soup. You can also make mini sandwiches out of it or even bread for homemade bruschetta – the possibilities are endless!
We think you’ll be surprised just how easy this recipe is, and we have a feeling you’ll want it as a side dish to every meal!
How to Make French Bread
French bread isn’t as intimidating as you’d think. Just follow these simple steps to make this homemade french bread recipe that everyone loves!!
Dissolve yeast in ½ cup warm water. In another bowl, combine hot water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of flour – stir. With the paddle attachment, mix the yeast and hot water/flour mixture until combined.
Add remaining flour, one cup at a time, mixing after each cup. Once all flour is added, let sit for 10 minutes.
Separate dough into 3 pieces. On a flour surface, roll each piece into a 9×12 rectangle. Roll it up like a jelly roll (long way).
Place dough on a greased baking pan, seam-side down. Score the bread across the top 3 or 4 times and brush with beaten egg.
Let dough rise, uncovered, for 30 minutes in a warm place. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
make it extra crusty
You’re going to need to simulate a bakers oven: place a baking stone on the center rack. Preheat oven to 450º. Put a metal broiler pan on the lower rack (at least 4 inches below the baking stone)
- Once the french bread has risen transfer to a baking peel sprinkled with flour.
- Slash the loaves and using a water bottle spray the loaves.
- Slide the loaves onto the preheated baking stone and add 1 cup of HOT water to the broiler tray.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
- After 10 minutes use the water bottle to spray the bread in 3 minute intervals.
- Use the baking peel to remove the bread from the oven and cool
The result – crusty french bread which is to die for!!
Using and Storing
How do I properly store french bread? Keep your baked bread in a plastic bag, bread box, or foil. The bread should last 2-3 days.
Can I freeze french bread? Yes, Once the bread has been baked let it cool, wrap in parchment paper and then foil. It can last for up to 3 months in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat remove from freezer and thaw. To reheat place in oven, preheated to 400 degrees F, for 4-5 minutes or until warm.
Recipes using French Bread:
This French bread is great alone, but also wonderful to use in other recipes. Here are some of our favorites we make using the french bread too:
- Homemade Bruschetta – just cut up and toast!
- Buffalo Chicken French Bread
- Barbecue Chicken French Bread
- Spinach & Artichoke Bread
We love that this french bread loaf is simple and so delicious. You’ll never want to buy store-bought french bread again after trying this! It’s SOOO good!
For more bread recipes, check out:
This bread Pairs well with:
Easy French Bread Recipe
- Dissolve your yeast in ½ cup warm water.
- In a separate bowl combine hot water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of the flour. and stir.
- With the paddle attachment mix the yeast mixture and the hot water-flour mixture together.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of flour, one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Once all of the flour is added, let sit for 10 minutes.
- Separate your dough into 3 pieces. On a floured surface roll each piece into a 9x12 rectangle. Roll it up like a jelly roll (long way).
- Place the dough on a greased baking pan, seam side down. Score the bread across the top 3 or 4 times, and brush with your beaten egg. Let dough rise uncovered for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes at 375 or until golden brown.