Homemade French Bread
We’ve always loved french bread and were so excited when my mom mastered it. We know homemade bread can’t be beat, and to have this homemade french bread recipe to add to our bread recipes is just what we needed.
If you’ve ever made French bread, then you’d know it’s ten times better than anything bought at the store. It’s great to have on it’s own with butter or jam or even as a side with soup. You can also make mini sandwiches out of it or even bread for homemade bruschetta – the possibilities are endless!
MY LATEST VIDEOS
How to Make French Bread
French bread isn’t as intimidating as you’d think. Just follow these simple steps to make this homemade french bread recipe that everyone loves!!
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- In another bowl, combine hot water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of flour – stir.
- With the paddle attachment mix the yeast and hot water/flour mixture until combined.
- Add remaining flour, one cup at a time, mixing after each cup. Once all flour is added, let sit for 10 minutes.
- Separate dough into 3 pieces. On a flour surface, roll each piece into a 9×12 rectangle. Roll it up like a jelly roll (long way).
- Place dough on a greased baking pan, seam-side down. Score the bread across the top 3 or 4 times and brush with beaten egg.
- Let dough rise, uncovered, for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
We love that this recipe is simple and so delicious. You’ll never want to buy store-bought french bread again after trying this! It’s SOOO good!
My mom promises that this recipe is easy, so I’ll be right there with you giving it a try here in the coming months and am excited to make some once it cools down. I mean, we all know “bread season” is coming up so I better get crackin’!
For more delicious bread recipes, check out:
French Bread Recipe
- 2 tbsp dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 cups flour divided
- 1 egg beaten - for glazing bread
Dissolve your yeast in ½ cup warm water.
In a separate bowl combine hot water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of the flour. and stir.
With the paddle attachment mix the yeast mixture and the hot water-flour mixture together.
Add the remaining 3 cups of flour, one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Once all of the flour is added, let sit for 10 minutes.
Separate your dough into 3 pieces. On a floured surface roll each piece into a 9x12 rectangle. Roll it up like a jelly roll (long way).
Place the dough on a greased baking pan, seam side down. Score the bread across the top 3 or 4 times, and brush with your beaten egg. Let dough rise uncovered for 30 minutes in a warm place.
Bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes at 375 or until golden brown.