Creamy Cheesy Potato Soup is the easiest soup you’ll ever make. You only need a handful of ingredients and a crockpot!!
Easy Potato Soup (A family fav)
One of my favorite things to do when the weather cools down is to have soup with bread bowls (other favorites include Broccoli Cheese Soup and Chicken Tortilla Soup ), especially this simple Cheesy Potato Soup.
I have a lot of crock pot soup recipes, but this one is my favorite slow cooker soups of all time because it’s SO EASY!
I love that all the ingredients can be thrown in the crockpot and hours later you have a delicious, hash brown potato soup.
If you love a good hearty soup, you will definitely want to save this recipe. It’s always the first gone at every Soup Potluck we’ve been to (no joke)!
How to Make Cheesy Potato Soup
I almost wish there were more instructions for this recipe, because the recipe card looks really empty, but that just proves this is the easiest potato soup recipe.
COMBINE. Melt butter in the crockpot, then add the thawed hash browns, cream of chicken, cream of celery and half and half. Stir to combine well.
HEAT. Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
GARNISH + SERVE! Add cheese, salt (we love the garlic salt with parsley flakes), and pepper and stir to mix.
This hash brown potato soup is so thick and cheesy and flavorful! If you want it to be less thick, be sure to add some more half and half or chicken broth until it’s the consistency you like.
Make it On the Stovetop
Making this soup on the stovetop in a large pot is simple too. Here is how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a large pot, add the thawed hash browns, cream of chicken, cream of celery and half and half.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and cook on low for 30-40 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
- Add cheese, salt and pepper before serving.
toppings + FAQ
This soup is very easy to change up and can be added to with just the toppings. Here are some of our favorite potato soup toppings:
- extra cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- bacon crumbles
- chives or green onions
- of course – salt and pepper
Can we add ham? Yes, omit the bacon as a topping and add ham or keep both. The addition of protein makes this cheesy potato soup recipe even more hearty.
Can we sub out for the cream of celery? Yes. You can add another can of cream of chicken or our favorite is to add a can of creamed corn.
Can we use heavy cream instead of half and half? Yes – both work.
How to store? Store covered soup in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to reheat? To reheat, just microwave or heat soup over medium heat in a pot. You may need to add more half and half when reheating because soup may be chunky.
For more potato soup recipes, check out:
- Baked Potato Soup
- Potato Bacon Soup
- Loaded Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
- Chicken and Potato Florentine Soup
- Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup
Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (32-ounce) package frozen diced hash browns thawed
- 2 (10.5-ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 3 cups half-and-half or heavy cream, plus more as needed
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- salt and pepper to taste
Additional Mix-ins (Optional)
- 1 (14.75-ounce) can creamed corn or 2 cups chopped ham optional
- sour cream,, bacon crumbles, chives or green onions optional
- Set a slow cooker to high. Add butter to the slow cooker and let it melt. Add hash browns, cream of chicken and celery soups and half-and-half and mix to combine. Stir in any other desired mix-ins, then cover and cook on high for 3–4 hours.
- Add 1 cup cheese and salt and pepper to taste and stir to mix. Add more half and half if needed to reach the consistency you prefer.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup cheese along with any other desired toppings before serving.