This Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is simple and DELICIOUS!! It’s one of our new favorite soup recipes to make after thanksgiving with all the leftover ham. With potatoes, ham, cheese, scallions, and yummy spices, this soup is FULL of flavor!
Potato Soup with Ham Recipe
It’s no surprise that my family LOVES soup. It’s just something us Lunas have always enjoyed which means, we LOVE trying out and find new soup recipes that we love. For the longest time, we’ve been making this Crock pot Cheesy Potato Soup, because it’s easy and ALWAYS a hit!! I wanted to try another Potato Soup recipe, but thought I’d try one that had ham in it, hoping it would be just as good as our old potato soup recipe. I’m happy to report that this Ham and Potato soup really is delicious!
MY LATEST VIDEOS
It takes a little more time than our other Potato soup, but it tastes PHENOMENAL. I asked the hubby which one he liked better and he couldn’t decide since they are both so good! I feel like this one was a little more cheesy and hearty with the ham chunks, so if you love hearty, warm soups, I suggest trying this one. For only having a handful of simple ingredients, this ham soup really is sooo flavorful! I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!
How to make Ham Potato Soup:
Not only does it have simple ingredients, but the process for making it is just as simple! It only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish. I’m all about having quick soup recipes on hand for weeknight dinners!
- Combine potatoes, ham and water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
- Add chicken bouillon cubes, salt, and pepper then mix.
- In another pan, melt butter on medium heat. Whisk in flour and stir constantly for about 1 minute. Slowly add milk and continue whisking until sauce thickens (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the milk mixture to your pot and cook soup until heated through.
- Add cheese right before serving, and top with scallions. Serve immediately.
This is one of those recipes we are making a LOT after Thanksgiving. It’s perfect to make with all the leftover ham, and it’s perfect for the cold weather. 🙂
For more potato soup recipes, check out:
- Baked Potato Soup
- Parmesan Potato Soup
- Bacon Potato Corn Chowder
- Cheesy Potato Soup
- Chicken and Potato Florentine Soup
Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 12 oz ham cooked and cubed
- 4 c water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic pepper
- 5 TB butter
- 5 TB flour
- 2 1/2 c milk
- 1 c cheddar cheese
Combine potatoes, ham, and water in a large pot.
Bring to a boil, then cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes (or when potatoes are tender).
Add chicken bouillon cubes, salt and pepper. Mix.
In another pan, melt butter on medium heat. Whisk in flour and stir constantly for about 1 minute. Slowly add milk and continue whisking until sauce thickens (about 3-4 minutes).
Add the milk mixture to your pot and cook soup until heated through.
Add cheese right before serving. Top with scallions. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes.