This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Enjoy a collection of the best crockpot soup recipes—chicken soups, beef soups, and even potato soups! They are all simple “dump and go” recipes that come in handy on the busiest days.
Crockpots are a Busy Mom’s Best Friend!
I’ve shared my favorite chicken soup recipes, but these are all of my favorite soups made in the crock pot/slow cooker. I don’t have time to slave over the stove all day making soup, which is why I love these recipes so much—the crock pot does all the work!
Really anyone who is busy needs to build a relationship with their crock pot. You can throw ingredients together in the morning and come home to a warm home cooked meal.
There’s nothing like coming home on a cold winter day to a warm bowl of soup ready and waiting. You’re definitely going to want to try out these soups this season!
General Soup Tips
These tips can be applied to any of these crockpot soups to achieve the tastiest bowl-full!
- Bite-size ingredients. Cut all the ingredients to the same size. For example, the chunks of meat and pieces of potatoes should be similar in size.
- Browned meat. If you have time, brown the meat to help bring out a more rich flavor.
- Activate the aromatics. This includes ingredients like onion, bell pepper, celery, or garlic. They are typically sautéed in a pan to get their flavor going, then added to the crock pot.
- Don’t overfill the pot. A properly filled pot should be between ½-¾ of the way full.
- Thaw food, especially meats, before cooking.
- Adjust for high altitude. At high altitudes, you may need to increase the amount of liquid added if you are also using cornstarch or flour as a thickening agent. Add an additional 30 minutes for each hour of time specified in the recipe for anyone cooking at a high altitude. Also, turn the crock pot to the HIGH setting after you have added any “save until the end” ingredients. Cook on high for 5-10 minutes.
Seasoning Crockpot Soups
The best way to create flavorful slow cooker soup recipes is to make sure each added ingredient will do its part. Using bland ingredients will create a bland soup. Taste as you go and adjust accordingly.
Broth vs stock. The foundation of a good soup starts with a great-tasting vegetable, beef or chicken broth, or stock. You can also find versions to be organic, gluten-free, and vegan. So what makes them different?
- Broth is thinner, has fewer calories and less fat, than stock.
- Stock (aka bone broth) has slightly more calories, fat and protein, but also has significantly higher vitamins and minerals.
- They can be used interchangeably so pick the one that best fits your dietary needs.
Add acid. Brighten a soup with a splash of vinegar or lemon or lime juice.
Remove spice. If the soup is too spicy or sour, add coconut milk or a bit of brown sugar. It will cut through the harsh flavor and add a bit of sweeteners to the soup.
Fresh herbs add a lot of bright flavor to the dish. Keep in mind that 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs = 1 teaspoon of dried herbs and don’t add the fresh herbs until the end of the crock pot cooking time.
Fix a Bland Soup
If you have already completely cooked your soup and it is tasting a little bland, you can always add in some fresh basil, parsley, or thyme.
You can also sauté some garlic or onion and add it to your soup. Dried spices such as chili powder, red pepper flakes, fresh ground pepper, paprika, or ground ginger can also be added in for an extra kick.
Converting Stove Top Soup to Slow Cooker Soup
If you have a soup recipe that isn’t already tailored to the slow cooker, don’t worry! Almost all soups can be slowly simmered in the crock pot.
I collected a few tips that will help you convert your stove-top recipe into an easy slow cooked meal!
Crock Pot Cook Time
In general, the HIGH setting of a crock pot is about 280°F. The LOW setting is about 170°F.
You usually cook soup for 3-4 hours on high heat or 6-8 hours on low heat. (Always refer to your particular crock pot manual to find more specific cook times and guidelines.)
When to Add Ingredients
Save some ingredients until the end to add. “The end” could be literally right before serving, or as much as the last half hour of cooking.
- Softer vegetables, like peas, corn, broccoli, and mushrooms should not be simmered for hours or they’ll become mushy.
- Dairy like milk, sour cream, yogurts, and cheese shouldn’t be added until the end otherwise it may curdle after being cooked for such a long time.
- Precook pasta, rice, seafood before adding in at the end.
- Use dried herbs and add them at the beginning. If you want to use fresh herbs, then add them toward the end.
Let’s Talk Evaporation
There is hardly any evaporation when using a slow cooker so you’ll notice that these recipes don’t call for as much liquid as other soup recipes.
- Once you have the initial ingredients placed in the pot pour the liquid over them until they’re covered by ½ inch. You can always add more liquid later.
- If you find you have too much liquid, remove the lid during the last hour of cooking to let some of it evaporate. You can also stir in a roux, for a thicker consistency.
- Don’t include any wine. Simmering on the stovetop allows for the alcohol to evaporate leaving a subtle layer of flavor. However, the crock pot does not allow for evaporation and the liquor can quickly take over the recipe.
Soup Storing Tips
Each recipe includes specific storing directions, but here are some general soup storing tips.
Keep soup warm. Once the soup has finished cooking, you’ll want to turn the knob to the warm setting. Soup can be kept warm for 2-3 hours.
FREEZE. Most all soups can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the freezer. Remember to leave out the “add at the end” ingredients when making a freezer meal.
Thaw the soup overnight in the fridge and throw it in the crock pot.
Best Crockpot Soup Recipes
Crockpot recipes are notoriously easy so I’m always up for a throw and go meal. During the fall I love to start a hearty soup in the morning.
It fills the house with delicious smells, and there is no shortage of tasty soups! I’ve gathered some of my favorites, so enjoy!
Crock Pot Chicken Stew
A simple, convenient, and TASTY stew recipe made in the crock pot! Made with chicken, potatoes, carrots, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, ranch dressing mix and more, this slow cooker chicken stew recipe is BURSTING with flavor!!
1 CrockPot Chicken Stew Recipe
Crock Pot Spinach Tortellini Soup
Easy crock pot tortellini and spinach soup is a creamy soup filled with cheese tortellini, spinach, tomatoes, and lots of spices!!
2 Crockpot Tortellini Soup Recipe
CrockPot Cheeseburger Soup
Thick and cheesy crockpot cheeseburger soup is rich and creamy with plenty of chunks for a stick-to-your-ribs kind of soup! Add some bacon to really kick up the flavor!
3 Crock Pot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup
Creamy and delicious crockpot baked potato soup is so full of flavor and EASY too! This delicious classic soup recipe is a hearty family favorite.
4 Crockpot Baked Potato Soup Recipe
Crock Pot Taco Soup
Creamy & delicious crockpot taco soup is SO easy to make! It’s packed with flavor and takes just 5 minutes of prep time!
5 CrockPot Taco Soup Recipe
Easy Crockpot Soup Recipes
Pretty much all crock pot soups are easy. They require some prep, but then you just let it simmer all day until you’re ready to fill your belly!
Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
Crock pot green chile enchilada soup is a new favorite soup packed with chicken, green chiles, corn, rice, and mixed with lots of spices and cheeses.
6 Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
Cheesy Potato Soup
Creamy cheesy potato soup is the easiest soup you’ll ever make. You only need a handful of ingredients and a crockpot!! You could even add in some diced ham or browned sausage for some extra variety!
7 Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
Chicken Tortilla Soup
The BEST slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is filled with chunks of chicken, black beans & corn. It is easy to make and full of flavor! Top it off with cheddar cheese, cilantro, and avocado!
8 Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
DELICIOUS slow cooker beef stew filled with chunks of beef, potatoes and carrots – a family favorite that is hearty, simple and great for fall.
9 Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
Hearty and delicious hamburger soup is filled with corn, carrots, potatoes, cheese, ground beef and more! Best of all, it’s made in the slow cooker with minimal effort.
10 Crockpot Hamburger Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
Homemade slow cooker turkey chili is hearty and packed with flavor. It is loaded with beans, ground or chopped turkey, and spices!
11 Crock Pot Turkey Chili Recipe
crockpot Chicken Soup Recipes
Chicken is so versatile, and it’s an easy protein for adding into crockpot recipes. These chicken-filled soups are some of our best loved. They are packed with flavor, and of course are so simple!
Chicken Taco Soup
Perfectly spiced chicken taco soup can be enjoyed all year long. It’s hearty, delicious, and packed with flavor!
12 Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
Chicken Florentine Soup
With a combination of chicken, potato, white beans, carrots, spinach and more, this chicken florentine soup is hearty and absolutely delicious. It tastes similar to Olive Garden’s recipe, but it’s made in the slow cooker!
13 Chicken Florentine Soup Recipe
Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup
This copycat of chili’s chicken enchilada soup tastes just like the restaurant’s version. It’s a new favorite dinner meal!
14 Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
Green Chili Chicken Soup
Perfectly spiced green chili chicken soup is like an enchilada in soup form! It’s hearty, delicious, and is always a crowd pleaser.
15 Green Chili Chicken Soup Recipe
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Nothing like a warm bowl of tortilla soup on a chilly winter day! This lighter version of chicken tortilla soup is healthy, flavorful, and packed with delicious ingredients.
16 Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This chicken pot pie soup has a delightful creamy texture. It can also be made on the stovetop or in a crock pot! It has all your favorite vegetables, big chunks of chicken, and even a delicious heart-shaped pie piece on top.
17 Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
Family Favorite Crockpot Soup Recipes
Soup is the ultimate comfort food and these crockpot soup recipes are no exception. They’re major time savors, and most of them are dishes that the entire family will enjoy, so you really can’t go wrong!