Hearty and delicious Hamburger Soup is filled with corn, carrots, potatoes, cheese and more! Best of all, it’s made in the slow cooker with minimal effort.
what’s not to love?
Delicious, warm soups are always my top craving when weather cools down. 😉 With that being said, I have another soup recipe for you. This next one comes from one of my mom’s old cookbooks.
I had never tried hamburger soup before, but it was a hit! This soup has all the ingredients that everyone loves in a classic soup – meat, potatoes, and veggies. It was also very easy to make since it was all thrown in the slow cooker.
I have a feeling this easy Hamburger soup will be on repeat all fall and winter long, especially because it’s so simple and the crock pot does the heavy lifting. 😉
How to Make Hamburger Soup
Veggies. Add carrots and potatoes to the crockpot with water, and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours. (If you want it done faster, you can cook on HIGH for 1.5-2 hours.)
Beef. Meanwhile, brown the ground beef. After the potatoes and carrots have cooked, add the browned beef and remaining ingredients to the crockpot.
Cook. Cook for an additional hour on LOW (or HIGH for 30 minutes). Add one cup of cheese right before serving.
Let’s talk vegetables
This soup is so versatile. Pretty much any vegetable can be used. The key is to add them at the correct time. Not all vegetables cook at the same rate.
- Larger cut vegetables will need longer to cook so add them first. Save the small vegetables and finely diced vegetables for the later.
- Potatoes: Stay away from russet potatoes which are higher in starch and can take on a grainy texture. Stick with red potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, fingerling potatoes, or long white potatoes.
- Save time and use a frozen bag of mixed veggies
How much to make per person: If the soup is a main dish a serving size is 1 ⅓ c. If the soup is an appetizer the serving size is 1 c per person.
How to store leftovers: Hamburger soup can last in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top.
Can this be frozen? Yes, If you plan to freeze this soup, be sure to undercook the vegetables. Allow the soup to completely cool. Place in a freezer safe container leaving 1 inch head space. Store for 4-6 months. Thaw in the fridge.
Reheat in the microwave for smaller portions or on the stove top for larger portions.
If you’re looking for a flavorful and easy recipe, this Hamburger soup is definitely one to try. You can’t go wrong with a delicious soup recipe like this! It would probably taste amazing with some warm rolls as well. 😉
For more soup recipes, check out:
Crockpot Hamburger Soup Recipe
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb ground beef cooked
- 14 oz can of Beef broth
- 12 oz can of diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 11 oz can of corn
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup grated mozzarella or parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add carrots, potatoes, and water to your crock pot. Cook on low for 3-4 hours (or HIGH for 1.5 – 2 hours).
- Brown beef and add beef and remaining ingredients to the crock pot. Cook on low for another hour or HIGH for 30 more minutes. Add 1 cup of cheese a few minutes before serving. ENJOY!