This Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe tastes JUST like the broccoli cheese soup from Pacific Wharf Cafe at California Adventure! Loaded with broccoli and two different cheeses, this creamy and delicious soup is the ultimate comfort food, especially when served in a bread bowl!
Best Broccoli Cheddar Soup
If you’ve ever been to the Pacific Wharf Cafe at California Adventure in Anaheim, you may have tried their Broccoli Cheese Soup in a Bread bowl. If not, you must try it – it’s practically HEAVEN!! Well, we recently went to Disneyland and California Adventure (which I will be blogging about in the coming days) and I have been dying to find a recipe that compares to this little piece of heaven. I’m happy to report that my mom was able to do just that. She made a few changes to the original she had, and I have to admit it was one of the best recipes I’ve ever tried! Although we didn’t eat ours in a bread bowl, it tasted just like the Broccoli Cheddar Soup at the Pacific Wharf Cafe!!
Believe it or not, this recipe is as simple as it is delicious. It only takes about 30 minutes to come together, and the ingredients are super simple. In fact, you probably have most of them on hand already. In no time at all, you can have a little taste from the Happiest Place on Earth right in your own kitchen. 😉 I don’t know what it is about the combination of broccoli and cheddar, but this soup makes for the ultimate comfort food – especially on cold days.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup
Here are the simple directions for making this cheesy and delicious soup. I’m warning you now, it’s so simple to make, it’ll become your favorite go-to soup!
- Add your chicken brother to a large pot and bring to a simmer. Add chopped broccoli, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate pot, melt butter then add flour, salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes on medium heat. Whisk in the warmed milk and cook for another 6-8 minutes until soup starts to thicken.
- Add warmed chicken broth and broccoli to soup mixture and stir until well blended. Then add cheeses and stir until cheese is completely melted.
This recipe is as simple as it sounds and is so delicious!
How to Thicken Broccoli Cheese Soup
Add flour or cornstarch to the soup to thicken it. To do that, just whisk a few tablespoons of cornstarch into a little broth in a separate bowl before whisking it into the main pot. This will help thicken up the entire soup.
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup in Crock Pot
Add butter and flour to your pot and let melt. Add milk and let set for 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients but cheese. Cover and cook on high for 2 hour or on low for 4-6 hours, adding cheese 30 minutes before done.
This is definitely the best homemade Broccoli Cheddar Soup I have tried!! Now, I just need to find some super yummy Sourdough Bread bowls and eat this soup with them, and perhaps I’ll feel a little bit like I’m back at California Adventure! If you’re also looking for a Baked Potato Soup recipe similar to that from Carnation Cafe, then CLICK HERE.
If you love Broccoli & Cheese soup, be sure to check out our Copycat Panera version too!
For more soup recipes, check out:
Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
This Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe tastes JUST like the broccoli cheese soup from Pacific Wharf Cafe at California Adventure! Loaded with broccoli and two different cheeses, this creamy and delicious soup is the ultimate comfort food.
- 29 oz chicken broth (2 cans)
- 1 small crown broccoli chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated swiss cheese
Add your chicken brother to a large pot and bring to a simmer. Add chopped broccoli, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While chicken broth is cooking, heat milk in microwave for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a separate pot, melt butter then add flour, salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes on medium heat. Whisk in warmed milk. Cook for another 6-8 minutes until soup starts to thicken.
Add warmed chicken broth and broccoli to soup mixture and stir until well blended.
Add cheeses and stir until cheese is completely melted. Serve warm and ENJOY!