Talk about the ultimate comfort food. This Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is one of the easiest, tastiest recipes – tastes like home!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is one of those classic soups that always sounds good, especially during cold weather and sick days—just like Tomato Basil, or Broccoli Cheese Soup! They’re the perfect comforting meal.
Soup for sick season
When it’s cold, and I’m wrapped up in my hoodie, sweat pants, and slippers – you know it’s soup season.
One recipe I’m constantly craving (and especially when I’m under the weather) is this easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup recipe.
I know everyone has their own version of this recipe, but today’s soup is simple and delicious. There are only 8 ingredients and it comes together in about an hour or less!! Talk about easy!
This will definitely be saved as our go-to Chicken Noodle Soup. We love the flavors so much that we even made a Chicken Noodle Casserole!
How does chicken noodle soup help a cold?
Remember when your mom would make you Chicken Noodle Soup as a kid when you were feeling sick? It really can help you feel better!
The warm soup can help clear nasal congestion! It also has an anti-inflammatory effect that is proven to help ease your cold symptoms. So go ahead and eat all the Chicken Soup you want when you’re feeling under the weather!
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup
This Chicken Noodle Soup is simple and so hearty and delicious!
VEGGIES. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add celery and carrots and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook an additional minute.
BROTH. Add broths, chopped chicken, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
PASTA. Reduce heat, add egg noodles and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
You can easily make this Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup in a crock pot!
COOK. Add all the ingredients into the crock pot, except the noodles. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Take the chicken out and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
PASTA. Add the chicken back in and the noodles. Cook for an additional 30-40 minutes on low or 20 minutes on high or until the noodles are tender.
Best herbs to use. Season Chicken Noodle Soup with thyme, basil, peppercorns, bay leaves, and parsley. Don’t forget the salt and pepper!
Add different spices to bring out the flavors in the soup. Depending on what kind of flavor you want, you could try:
- Mild. black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin.
- Add some spice. add other spices like red pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
- Smoky. try smoked chipotle powder, smoked paprika, or smoked salt.
- Vegetables. veggies add more flavor and color to the soup: diced tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, sweet peas or diced green beans for sweetness, red or yellow onion to add a sharp taste, and potatoes or kidney beans for a starchy flavor.
Chicken. Use this Oven Baked Chicken recipe, I usually use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but chicken thighs also work. You can also buy a package of cooked and cubed chicken or use a rotisserie chicken.
Pasta. Egg noodles are my favorite to use in Chicken Noodle Soup, but you can also use an equal amount of linguine, fettuccine, tagliatelle, or rice noodles for a gluten-free choice.
Broth vs Stock. Broth and Stock are considered to be basic building blocks for soup. They have similarities as well as differences.
- Both come with a base of beef, chicken, or vegetable. They can be organic, gluten-free, and vegan.
- Broth is thinner, has fewer calories, and less fat than stock.
- Stock, also known as bone broth, has slightly more calories, fat, and protein. It also has significantly higher vitamins and minerals.
- They can be used interchangeably so pick the one that best fits your dietary needs.
Storing Info + SERVING SUGGESTIONS
FREEZE. If you have any leftover Chicken Noodle Soup, you can definitely freeze it! Store it in a freezer-safe plastic bag or container. It can last anywhere from 4-6 months in the freezer.
To reheat. When you’re ready to reheat, just heat it back up with a little broth in a soup pot over medium heat.
Whether it’s cold outside, you’re feeling under the weather, or you just need a good bowl of soup this recipe should do the trick!
what to serve with chicken Noodle SoUP
I don’t know about you, but anytime I’m in the mood for comfort food, Chicken Noodle Soup always sounds good!
There are so many great sides that go well with this soup, other than classic Biscuits. Here are some of our favorites:
For more chicken soups, check out:
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Italian Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 (14.5-ounce) cans full-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 2 chicken breasts seasoned to taste, cooked and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups medium egg noodles
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add broths, chopped chicken, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, add egg noodles and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve warm.