This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
King Ranch Chicken Soup is savory and delicious. This twist on a classic brings all the flavor to the table in under 30 minutes.
A twist on a classic
Have you ever had King Ranch Chicken Casserole?
If not, you’re missing out. It’s filled with the ingredients we all love – chicken, peppers, condensed soups, cheese, spice and more.
Today, we are sharing a soup version.
There are so many variations of this well-loved dish throughout the world that everyone has a family recipe ready to share. This variation is a spiced up twist that we think you’ll enjoy. The addition of spices, peppers, and tomatoes is just the beginning of this flavorful soup.
How to make King Ranch Chicken Soup
SAUTE. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, and sauté 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
COMBINE. Stir in diced tomatoes and green chiles, cream of chicken soup; combine thoroughly. Stir in broth, shredded chicken and spices (oregano, cumin and chili powder).
SIMMER. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and simmer for 2 more minutes.
SERVE. Add salt to taste. Garnish with toppings.
make it In the Crock Pot:
You can easily make this soup in the slow cooker by adjusting the steps a bit.
- Complete Step 1 by sauteing the peppers and garlic as directed on the recipe card. Use a spatula to scrape the ingredients into the crock pot.
- Next, add the diced tomatoes and cream of chicken soup. Stir to combine.
- Then, stir in the chicken broth, shredded chicken and all of the spices.
- Cover and cook on Low heat for 4-5 hours or High Heat for 2-3
- Stir in the sour cream before serving. Add garnish.
Chicken. One deli rotisserie chicken has about 4 cups, or 20 oz, of shredded meat once it has been removed from the bones. You can easily use a similar amount and cook up your skinless own chicken breasts or thighs using this Crockpot Shredded Chicken or Oven Baked Chicken recipe.
Handle the heat: This soup is definitely flavorful, but not necessarily hot and spicy. You can manage the heat by doing a few things…
- Double check the can of tomatoes with green chilies. It comes in mild, original, or hot. Choose the one that best fits your preference.
- If you wish to increase the heat add in some jalapenos. Leaving the membranes and seeds in will really do the job. Remove the membrane and seeds for a less hot jalapeno.
- Have red chili flakes or hot sauce on the side for people to add as much heat as they wish.
Topping Ideas: The options are endless, but here are some of our favorite toppings to add this King Ranch Chicken soup:
- extra bell peppers
- corn tortilla strips (or crushed tortilla chips)
- sour cream
- lime wedges
- fresh cilantro
- shredded cheese
Can you thicken it or thin it out? Yes! Change the texture of the soup by either thickening it or thinning it out according to your preference:
- To thin it out simply add more broth.
- To thicken, you can add a cornstarch slurry. Add 1 tbsp of cold water and 1 tbsp cornstarch to a separate bowl. Stir until combined. Mix it into the soup . Repeat as necessary.
- Make it creamier by increasing the amount of sour cream. You can also mix in some heavy cream.
STORE a large amount of soup in an airtight container. Alternatively, divide the leftover soup into individual portions. Keep soup in the fridge for 3-4 days.
FREEZE this soup for up to 3 months. Thaw and for best results reheat slowly over low heat on the stove. If you’re in a hurry or on the go, you can also use the microwave.
For more Savory Soup, try:
- Healthy Chicken and Tortilla Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Vegetable Soup
- Meatball Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Turkey Soup
King Ranch Chicken Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (1 1/2-2 1/2 lb) whole deli roasted chicken skin removed and meat shredded
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- garlic salt (with parsley flakes) to taste
- corn tortilla strips
- garnish with shredded cheese, limes and avocado
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add peppers, and sauté 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and green chilies, cream of chicken soup; combine thoroughly. Stir in broth, shredded chicken and spices.
- Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Add salt to taste. Garnish with toppings.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.