All the flavors of your favorite appetizer are contained in this delicious Buffalo Chicken Soup. It’s so hearty and tastes just like buffalo wings!
For all things buffalo flavored, try Our Famous Buffalo Wings, Buffalo Chicken Dip, and Buffalo Chicken Meatballs. If you’re a fan of the wings, you’ll love it just as much in soup form!
WINGS + SOUP = WINNER
We love soups!
And I have thing for soups that are basically another dish, but in soup form. For example, Cheeseburger Soup, Baked Potato Soup, or Chicken Pot Pie Soup to name a few!
Well, I have another one to add to the list. If you’re a fan of buffalo sauce and chicken wings, then you’ll want to add this to your list too! Today’s Tried and True recipe, and my new personal favorite, is this Buffalo Chicken Soup!
This soup has simple ingredients, but a strong delicious flavor! You can increase the spice by adding more wing sauce, or decrease it by adding less. We loved the recipe just as it’s made with that kick of spice.
Drizzle on some ranch dressing or blue cheese on top, and you’ll feel like you’re eating buffalo chicken wings in soup form!
How to make Buffalo Chicken Soup
VEGGIES. Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat, then cook the celery in the melted butter for about 5 minutes, until tender.
SAUCE. Add the flour and cook 2 minutes until absorbed. Slowly stir in the half-and-half and water. Dissolve your bouillon cube in the liquid.
CHICKEN. Stir in the cooked/cubed chicken, buffalo wing sauce, and Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce to medium-low heat. Allow the soup to simmer until the cheese has melted completely, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Tortilla strips
- Tortilla chips
- Bleu cheese
- Green onions
- Feta cheese
- Sour cream
Soup will thicken up if you leave it uncovered at a simmer. You could also add more cheddar cheese.
If you want to thin it out I recommend adding more chicken broth (aka that bouillon and water combo).
In the Instant Pot:
This buffalo chicken soup can easily be made in the instant pot! Here’s how:
- Turn the instant pot to sauté setting. Add butter and celery, sauté celery for 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes until absorbed.
- Pour in half and half and water. Dissolve bouillon cube in liquid. Stir in chicken, buffalo wing sauce, and cheddar cheese.
- Seal lid and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the cooking time is complete, do a quick release. Carefully remove the lid once the pressure has released.
- Stir the soup and season with salt and pepper. Serve with toppings of choice.
in the slow cooker:
- Follow recipe instructions #1-3
- Once the bouillon is dissolved, add it all to the crock pot. Stir in chicken, buffalo wing sauce and cheddar cheese to the crock pot and cover.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours.
- When done, stir and serve it with toppings of choice.
Variations + FAQ
Want to change it up? Here are a few ideas…
- Serve it up with some French bread to dip in the soup and combat the heat a little bit.
- Add in some sauteed veggies like carrots and celery, since they’re usually paired with buffalo wings! 😉
- Use either chicken thighs or chicken breasts or a mixture of both. Thighs will provide more fat from the dark meat, but the breasts will be a leaner choice.
- Mix it up a bit and use a different type of cheese like Colby Jack or a 3 blend Mexican cheese.
- If you find that this soup is a little too spicy for you try adding in some half and half. It will cool down the heat and make it creamy. If you don’t have half and half try adding in some cream cheese or whole milk.
How to store? Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Store toppings separately. Reheat in the microwave in 30 second increments until hot. Add any toppings once reheated. If you plan on storing it longer then I suggest freezing it.
How to freeze? To FREEZE, pour it into a freezer safe, airtight container after it has cooled. Freeze for 4-5 months.
Thaw in the fridge 24 hours before serving and REHEAT it in the microwave in 30 second increments until hot. You could also warm it up in a pot on the stove, stirring frequently. Add any toppings after it is reheated.
For More Delicious Soups, try:
- Chicken Florentine Soup
- Loaded Broccoli Potato Soup
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Chicken Taco Soup
- King Ranch Chicken Soup
Buffalo Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-2 stalks celery diced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 cups water
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 2 cups chicken cooked and cubed
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- garlic salt (with parsley flakes) to taste
- bleu cheese for garnish
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat; cook the celery in the melted butter for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add the flour and cook 2 minutes until absorbed.
- Turn to medium heat. Slowly stir in the half-and-half and water. Dissolve your bouillon cube in the liquid.
- Stir in the chicken, buffalo wing sauce, and Cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce to medium-low heat.
- Allow the soup to simmer until the cheese has melted completely, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Adapted from allrecipes.com
This buffalo chicken soup really looks simple to make. It looks very delicious too.
Thanks for sharing Kristyn.
Thank you!! I wouldn’t have ever thought it, but it really is delicious!! I love buffalo chicken anything!
Re: the Buffalo Chicken Soup, when do we add the onion powder? Thanks!
Oops, I need to add that. You could add it really in any step, it replaces an onion, which I don’t like, but would be added in step one, so I add the powder. Hope that helps & hope you like it!
These look like they are to die for! Yummmm!! Thanks for the inspiration!
Glad to share 🙂 It really is!! Hope you’ll try it!
Yum! this has all the flavors of my favorite dip, but in the comfort of a warm soup!
Such a yummy chicken soup recipe. I love the addition of the buffalo sauce for some kick. So good! Easy to make too!
My new favorite soup! I am so excited to eat leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
I have found a new favorite way to enjoy the buffalo flavors!! It wasn’t too spicy, it was perfect & creamy!
A yummy delicious soup that screams wings. If you like wings this is your soup to make. Simple and very comforting.
I love Buffalo flavoring. Even though I was skeptical of it as a soup I gave it a try- thankfully. It came out pretty good. Even better is it fits my husbands Keto diet.